Pictal catfish problem

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stick

Reaction score
i have a 3 inch pictal which I've had for a year. Last week if got a white eye and white stuff on a whisker. Talked to fish store and they gave me a bacterial/fungal medicine. It's been on the meds about 4 days. Today the eye looks better but all whiskers have white stuff and he's spending a lot of time vertically at the top of the tank. Sort of like gasping for air. I still have the air pump running but removed the charcoal filter so I the filter wouldn't mess with the meds. Any suggestions?

White eyes would usually be a bacterial infection, sometimes caused from an injury to the eye or bad water quality. Could you take a picture of the eye and whiskers? What size tank is it?

White fuzzy stuff could very well be fungus, in which case I would try a Methylene blue bath. You should be able to find a bottle of it at the pet store.

Gasping at the surface points to poor water quality, either not enough oxygen or too much ammonia and/or nitrites. Adding the bacterial/fungal med could of ruined your cycle in the tank causing the waste products to build up. I highly suggest doing at least a 50% water change first. If you have a water test kit then please test the water and post the results before and after the water change. If not test kit, then maybe buy one (liquid API test kit works wonders) while you are at the pet store.

It's a 50 gallon tank. I'm trying to figure out how to post a picture. And I'll get the water numbers to post. This happened after I put 2 new fish in the tank and the catfish killed them. I changed the water after removing the dead fish. 2 days later this issue developed.

image.jpeg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back