Picked Up An Electric Blue Acara

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just found one cheap that caught my eye.
I'll try to get some pics up tonight my little guy is very blue but he also has a very striking red fringe on his fins.
I always liked EBJD's but every one I've seen locally has been garbage and 40 bucks or more, same thing goes for the electric blue acara's. I have a few other CA and SA cichlids that I spoil so I think I'm stocked ok food wise
I got hikari cichlid floating pellets and flakes, bloodworms, wardley shrimp pellets and a whole bunch of guppies. Do these guys have any other requirements that differ from the normal blue acara's?

he moves around a lot

Attachments

• 1796421_10204973556683704_1440671900548334614_n.jpg
    1796421_10204973556683704_1440671900548334614_n.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 152
I dont know a lot about them personally only what I have read up on the net. No one really knows what "acara" they are (A. Pulcher = blue acara) or if they are a hybrid to bring out this colouration - either way it is not a fully natural fish, highly prone to ich from what I have read and have been bred in Asia.

Everytime I've seen them they were half dead and 40 bucks I just saw a whole bunch at another LFS and they all had ich really bad.
Mine is super healthy and very busy, it's part of the reason I grabbed him. In my research I've yielded similar vague theories of line breeding and/or hybridization. IDK maybe they isolated a blue gene and bred for that maybe not.  I was thinking about mixing him in w the others in the 90 but I'm not so sure now.

Personally I would keep him/her on their own for at least 6 weeks to make sure no nasty infections or problems occur before trying them in with other fish.

LOL that goes without saying!
I won't even mention where I picked him up from because I don't want to advertise for them and I'm kind of ashamed of myself for giving them business (they're so close it's convenient)

Had mine a year or so. He eats cichlid pellets and blood worm. And loves live food. A great fish and full of character. Enjoy.

I honestly thought 6 weeks was a bit excessive LOL Out of no where he got sick, he's acting lethargic and doesn't swim around like he used to...well he doesn't have ich- but there is definitely something  going on with him, he jerks around a lot at first I thought he was eating guppy fry but that is not the case, he sits in the corner of the tank most of the time. Any ideas what might be wrong with him?

I'm actually swapping 2 blockheads and 2 fire mouths for another blue acara.

Yeah he didn't make it- also got an EBJD that expired in 8 days (really glad I only dropped 10 on him) Poor guy didn't want to live, he just wasted away in a corner like the acara. They're unlikely to make it when they're under 3 inches and they're 40 bucks or more 4+ I think I'll stay away from electric blue anything. I got a synspilum the other day and I'm in love, he's not an inch yet and he's right in my face, eating like a pig and swimming all over.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back