Phil the Betta loves his 5.5 gallon tank!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Phil Fish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well it's been a week now since I moved Phil to his new 5.5 gallon tank. The last day or two he's really come into his own patrolling every area of his tank swimming all around top to bottom hunting and defending his territory from the odd reflection of himself. He plays games like swimming the loop under and over his betta hammock.

He's even learned to use the slight current flow to help him zoom along if needed. I have never seen him so happy displaying his beautiful coloured fins trying to impress. He loves to casually coast to the surface to one corner while showing his fins and after flaring up and doing his attack dance he turns around and dive bombs down to the bottom diagonally. Like a game of tag.

He is also frustrated by the fact that there's a little piece of food wedged between a rock and the side of his tank. Try as he might be couldn't get it. He does like the new foam pre-filter on the intake tube since uneaten food particles get stuck on it which he nibbles off of it.

It's like a switch went off and he is really maturing and not afraid of anything and now he's the king of the castle. His little personality is starting to shine. :)

Try not to leave uneaten food in the tank because it can produce ammonia and cause water quality problems. :)

Try not to leave uneaten food in the tank because it can produce ammonia and cause water quality problems. :)

He usually gobbles up all his food but yesterday I fed him some flakes and he missed a few. He usually gets pellets but I try to vary his diet. However, I need to get a siphon/vacuum. I will be visiting the pet store on the weekend for more supplies. I am almost completely setup with aquarium maintenance supplies. I just need a couple of more things. His last water test 3 days ago showed water parameters were ok.

On another note, I picked up a Tetra 2.5 gallon Betta tank really cheap. As soon as I get it set up with a small heater a pump and nano filter system I will start cycling it properly without a fish in it.. Looks like Phil's getting a new neighbor in a few weeks. :)

On another note, I picked up a Tetra 2.5 gallon Betta tank really cheap. As soon as I get it set up with a small heater a pump and nano filter system I will start cycling it properly without a fish in it.. Looks like Phil's getting a new neighbor in a few weeks. :)

I don't mean to rain on your parade but 5 gallons really is the minimum for a Betta. You've seen for yourself how much happier Phil is in 5.5g - I really don't think it's fair to put a fish in 2.5g even for a short time :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back