Phil the Betta finally put on his big boy fins!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Phil Fish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well after doing the two modifications to my Top Fin HOB filter Phil seems to have put on his big boys fins and is being the man. After his light was finally turned off he found a spot to tuck himself in for the night. This morning he is having no difficulty "patrolling" his aquarium and being a jerk to anything he doesn't like. While on his rounds he found a spot right under the filter where he could see his reflection and started flaring at it like a madman until I stuck a piece of white paper there so he can't see himself. His keeper (me) is much relieved.

I think it also helped that he got a couple of his favourite betta pellets this morning. :)

LOL, love the title...Phil the Betta finally put on his big boy fins :)

good to hear he is finally settling down. :)

Yes he's got to be a little tougher and deal with what little current he has so hence the thread title. He's a sensitive little fish but now he's in a bigger tank so time to be a big boy...LOL!

On another note I picked up a little Fluval Edge foam pre-filter to put on theTop Fin filter in-take tube that sits inside the tank. This will also help keep his water clean. :)

Last edited:
Photos please.

This is Spike getting used to his new home. He was a naughty boy and kept attacking his tank mates, now he lives in his own private space all alone.

There will be additional plants being added this week as soon as I can find the crypts that I want

Attachments

• 20181014_121031.jpg
    20181014_121031.jpg
    616.9 KB · Views: 159
This is Spike getting used to his new home. He was a naughty boy and kept attacking his tank mates, now he lives in his own private space all alone.

There will be additional plants being added this week as soon as I can find the crypts that I want

He's very handsome! I like the rocks you're using. How big is his new home?

He's very handsome! I like the rocks you're using. How big is his new home?
In the UK we do everything in litres, so it's 14 litres (approx 4 US gal). It seems the perfect size for him.

The rocks are fake, just some cheap decor I picked up to attach java fern to. The small plants are hygrophilia polysperma. They are cuttings from his previous tank and should reach the surface by next weekend allowing me to make more cuttings

In the UK we do everything in litres, so it's 14 litres (approx 4 US gal). It seems the perfect size for him.

The rocks are fake, just some cheap decor I picked up to attach java fern to. The small plants are hygrophilia polysperma. They are cuttings from his previous tank and should reach the surface by next weekend allowing me to make more cuttings

Haha! I am in Canada and we use metric as well but I am old and still think in imperial measurements...lol.

Your set up sounds ideal for Spike. I was toying with the idea of adding a snail as a tank mate for Phil but he's pretty territorial about his space. I think he's better off by himself. He's also understanding who the "food man" is. If I sit in front of his tank he will swim back and forth saying "Hey! Food guy!". If I hide off to the side where cant see me he goes back to his business of swimming around flaring at his reflection or at random objects in his tank. He"s a little bully...lol

Fish have very good eye sight and good memories. They quickly learn who provides food and they know what to do to get fed. Your fish will have you wrapped around his pectoral fin in a matter of days, assuming he doesn't already. :)

Fish have very good eye sight and good memories. They quickly learn who provides food and they know what to do to get fed. Your fish will have you wrapped around his pectoral fin in a matter of days, assuming he doesn't already. :)

Oh yes I love the little guy! Right now I feel bad I can't feed him more than 2-3 times a week while his tank is cycling. I just know he's starving! Every time he sees me sitting at my table next to his tank he swims madly back and forth and then surfaces for air and hopefully a betta pellet or two will appear. Tomorrow is his weekly water change and a feeding day. He should be a happy boy. So far he has no visible health problems so that's good.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back