Ph, Gh, Kh - Help A Newbie Understand?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SmokedPaprika

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm new here so if there is a topic or article on this somewhere else, please feel free to link me to it and move or delete this thread; I did do a search but couldn't find what I was after.

OK, this is going to sound stupid, but I've seen a lot of articles mentioning that different fish prefer different water hardness levels and pH; I get the impression that the two are linked, but how?  Is this part of the nitrogen cycle, a different cycle, or not a cycle at all? What's the difference between gH and kH?  And how do I find out what my water statistics are like?  Will a test kit show me gH and kH?

Apologies again, I know it's probably basic stuff, but I don't want to be guessing and getting it wrong 
blush.png
 I should probably say at this point I don't have any fish yet, or even a tank, so I'm not killing anything with my ignorance!

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Paprika and
welcomeani.gif
to TFF!
 It's quite difficult to answer your question without launching into lots of information that might not make any sense at this stage.
Have you looked in the Beginners section? There are loads of pinned (recommended by lots of members) articles on cycling fishless and fish-in etc. Lots of people prefer the fishless one. I believe pH , KH and GH are all mentioned at some point during the threads.
There are test kits for the parameters you're asking about tho I only use the pH one to be honest. Others may be able to advise you regarding the hardness ones.

In natural waters pH and hardness are linked; the dissolved minerals that make the water hard also make it more alkaline (it raises the pH to a value over 7, which is neutral; a pH of less than 7 is acidic). That's not always the case in commercial water supplies as the pH is sometimes adjusted; to reduce corrosion in the pipes for example.

There are differing ways of measuring hardness, which is what the different scales are for; some measure total hardness, others just the calcium or sodium ions. You can usually find out the hardness of your water from your water companies website. Although you can buy test kits to measure hardness, it's probably not worth it, as it's not going to change very much; if your water is hard, it's going to stay hard.

Hardness is separate from the nitrogen cycle, although that can effect hardness and pH; the bacteria that turn ammonia to nitrite then nitrate will take some of the minerals from the water (as will the plants and fish in established tanks), and nitrate itself is acidic, so water in aquaria will tend to become softer and more acidic over time. It's one of the reasons we do regular water changes; to replace those depleted minerals, and to keep the water stable; fish don't like changing values of hardness and pH.

Hope that helps a bit; welcome to the forum, and feel free to ask anything you're not sure about; it's what we're here for
smile.png

Just to point out, a link to the Beginner's Resource Centre can be found by looking at fluttermouth's signature. :)

Thanks for the replies everyone - very helpful :) I'll go away and do some reading in the resource centre to clue myself up a bit more!

I've just got my first tank, purchased second hand and has come stocked with South American Cichlids.

It seems that the previous owner didnt use tap safe just normal tap water and hasnt done any sort of testing having owned them for years.

I want to get a test kit, but should i get 6-in-1 strips or the little bottles?

Definitely get the bottles. The test strips are very inaccurate. 

Olivers said:
I want to get a test kit, but should i get 6-in-1 strips or the little bottles?

Liquid test kits are the most accurate and one I highly recommend is the API Master Test Kit which you can get for about £20 in the UK. I say that because you haven't updated your location so you could be from the US :)

From UK. New today and on my mobile. I'll set my profile up ASAP.

Any differences between the Api / nutrafin etc?

My first kit was API and now I have Nutrafin. I think the Nutrafin is slightly easier to use, IMHO.

Personally, I'd go with the one that easier to find and/or cheaper.   There's really not a lot of difference, if you ask me.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back