Peppered Cory questions

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

cowgirluntamed

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So, I was at petsmart Tuesday browsing and saw they had peppered cories on sale for $2 a piece. I had an empty 10 gallon set up that had a couple of mystery snails in it but one died and the other moved to a different tank. Dual sponge filter, sand, plastic plants plus 2 anubias, 2 pieces of Malaysian driftwood.

So, I bought 8, my very first cories ever. I knew one was weak but you couldn't tell when the lady tried catching them. It died by the next day. So 7 left. I thought another would go but I think it had a small swim bladder problem and it seems to have recovered. I also bought omega one shrimp pellets for them.

Questions...
1. Do cories breathe faster than other fish?
I noticed some heavier breathing than what I'm used to seeing. I did also notice them sifting sand through their gills, which was rapid. I checked ammonia and it was 0. Didn't check the rest. They are not going to the top real frequently either but I have noticed flashing. No white spots, no red gills. Love the pellets.

2. Do the omega one shrimp pellets cloud the water?
It's not much, but a bit noticeable. I don't know if this is caused by over feeding possibly? I'm not sure how many pellets to give them.

3. How many pellets should they get? Once a day or more?
First day I gave them 5 or 6. Then started more than that as they found they loved them. Only once in the morning so far.

4. Should I feed them anything else other than these shrimp pellets?

Thanks for any help! These guys are cool! Lol.

Assuming the "peppered cory" is Corydoras paleatus, they will need a larger tank before very long. To your questions.

1. Do cories breathe faster than other fish?
I noticed some heavier breathing than what I'm used to seeing. I did also notice them sifting sand through their gills, which was rapid. I checked ammonia and it was 0. Didn't check the rest. They are not going to the top real frequently either but I have noticed flashing. No white spots, no red gills. Love the pellets.

Respiration in all fish should be "normal," and it takes some observation of fish over time to discern "normal" and recognize "rapid." I don't know that I can accurately explain this; it is like when my non-aquarist friend once asked me how I knew how much food to feed each tank, I could not answer--it is one of those things you learn and instinctively know. I regularly observe the respiration of my fish, it is one of the first things I look at when I sit down in front of any one of my 8 tanks, something that has become second nature I guess. The respiration rate of the fish, and cories I find especially significant in this, can tell me if I need to clean my filter hoses; the build-up of organics in the hose and the increase in the organic sludge in the filter will slow the flow--not usually anywhere near enough to make it obvious to me, but the fish respiration or surfacing more is usually the clue. The fish have never been wrong yet.

TYo attempt to explain respiration...the gill covers will be moving sufficiently to see the movement (though sometimes you have to look very, very closely, it is so minimal) but not so much as to be what we term flaring, when the gill covers are extended out and the movement is more rapid. If you can see the gill filaments, the fish is respirating too rapidly.

However...faster respiration is normal when feeding. And when "playing" with each other, or when interacting to spawn. In the early morning, if the tank is planted, respiration will be more obvious because of the accumulation of CO2 during the night; I tend to increase the surface disturbance when I see this, and it tends to disappear or at least minimize. Any stress such as water changes or working in the tank can increase respiration. All of this is because the first thing a fish needs to do when anything is out of the norm is assimilate more oxygen to keep feeding the homeostasis.

Surface breaching to get a bubble of air is similar; the more often, the more likely something is wrong, but again the activities mentioned above can be related, so it is not necessarily a danger.

Ich will also increase respiration, and flashing is related. You may never see the spots, as the fish can, if free of stress, deal with this. It is only when fish are under more severe stress that they may not be able to shake this off. They flash because ich first attacks the gills, where we don't see it. I usually but not always see this in newly acquired fish in the QT. But it generally disappears after 2-3 days. I would certainly not jump into treatment (aside from avoiding further or unnecessary stress as much as possible); additives of any sort will always add stress to fish, and even increasing heat will do this, so you don't want to go down this route without very good reason.

2. Do the omega one shrimp pellets cloud the water?
It's not much, but a bit noticeable. I don't know if this is caused by over feeding possibly? I'm not sure how many pellets to give them.

I have used these for many years, and never do they cloud water. This is more likely a bacterial bloom, if fish are added to a fishless tank (assuming it was cycled, or has live plants--floating plants are always beneficial in a QT as it calms fish considerably). I wouldn't worry about this, but monitor ammonia and nitrite.

3. How many pellets should they get? Once a day or more?
First day I gave them 5 or 6. Then started more than that as they found they loved them. Only once in the morning so far.

I don't feed fish the first day they arrive, but the next day I usually do. With seven cories, I would put in 3-4 pellets at a feeding, and only once a day. I have 50 in my 70g, and today they happened to be fed these shrimp pellets, and I put in 8 or 9 in total. The pellets in my can of Omega One are about 4, maybe 5 ml in length.

Fish are best fed early in their day. Wait one hour after the tank light comes on, to allow the fish's eyes to become adjusted (it takes around 30 minutes, but best to give them one hour). It can be any time after that, but not later than an hour before the tank lights go out, though with cories that are nocturnal this is less of an issue, and they can be fed at night. If you feed fish at roughly the same time every day, they will quickly learn this time, and expect feeding. This is beneficial; I have rarely fed them outside the "norm," and it is interesting that they should little if any interest--simply because they do not expect food at this time. Fish learn day/night times, it is part of their circadian rhythm, which is why regular light on/off times are so important.

4. Should I feed them anything else other than these shrimp pellets?

Yes, just for variety. I use the shrimp pellets as the only food for new cories in the QT, and for fry I rescue from the canister filter until they are large enough to go in the main tank. This is nutritious food, and Omega One is one of the most reliable brands, with no "meal" but whole fish, shrimp, etc.

In the main tank, once the fish are settled, I alternate three sinking foods for cories (and loaches and whiptails and twig catfish). Shrimp pellets, Omega One Veggie Rounds, and Nutrafin tabs (these have earthworm). Once a week, on the water change day as their treat about two hours after the WC, they get frozen daphnia and bloodworms. One day a week is fasting. The Veggie Rounds are important for giving them vegetable matter which benefits a healthier digestive system. There is fish in them too. My substrate fish love all of these; the cories will be clustered around a disk or tab for several hours.

Assuming the "peppered cory" is Corydoras paleatus, they will need a larger tank before very long.

Yes it is paleatus. This is a quarantine tank until the 55 gets up. Hoping to work on that very very soon! And I knew from petsmart at least 6 weeks in quarantine if not longer (more than likely longer) and it will motivate me to get a move on to get it done! Lol.

Respiration in all fish should be "normal," and it takes some observation of fish over time to discern "normal" and recognize "rapid." I don't know that I can accurately explain this; it is like when my non-aquarist friend once asked me how I knew how much food to feed each tank, I could not answer--it is one of those things you learn and instinctively know. I regularly observe the respiration of my fish, it is one of the first things I look at when I sit down in front of any one of my 8 tanks, something that has become second nature I guess. The respiration rate of the fish, and cories I find especially significant in this, can tell me if I need to clean my filter hoses; the build-up of organics in the hose and the increase in the organic sludge in the filter will slow the flow--not usually anywhere near enough to make it obvious to me, but the fish respiration or surfacing more is usually the clue. The fish have never been wrong yet.

TYo attempt to explain respiration...the gill covers will be moving sufficiently to see the movement (though sometimes you have to look very, very closely, it is so minimal) but not so much as to be what we term flaring, when the gill covers are extended out and the movement is more rapid. If you can see the gill filaments, the fish is respirating too rapidly.

However...faster respiration is normal when feeding. And when "playing" with each other, or when interacting to spawn. In the early morning, if the tank is planted, respiration will be more obvious because of the accumulation of CO2 during the night; I tend to increase the surface disturbance when I see this, and it tends to disappear or at least minimize. Any stress such as water changes or working in the tank can increase respiration. All of this is because the first thing a fish needs to do when anything is out of the norm is assimilate more oxygen to keep feeding the homeostasis.

Surface breaching to get a bubble of air is similar; the more often, the more likely something is wrong, but again the activities mentioned above can be related, so it is not necessarily a danger.

Ich will also increase respiration, and flashing is related. You may never see the spots, as the fish can, if free of stress, deal with this. It is only when fish are under more severe stress that they may not be able to shake this off. They flash because ich first attacks the gills, where we don't see it. I usually but not always see this in newly acquired fish in the QT. But it generally disappears after 2-3 days. I would certainly not jump into treatment (aside from avoiding further or unnecessary stress as much as possible); additives of any sort will always add stress to fish, and even increasing heat will do this, so you don't want to go down this route without very good reason.

After your great explanation, I do believe it is a bit on the abnormal side. Probably due to ich in the gills. My gourami flashed somesome after I got him as well but it went away fairly fast without any treatment except clean water and good food. I didn't intend to treat this unless I really see more signs of anything esle, which I don't.

I do, however, need to siphon stuff off the sand. My homemade python attachment is strictly just for a water change and not substrate cleaning. It has a lot of wood rot on the sand from the Malaysian driftwood. I thought it was cleaner than it was until they started kicking it up.

I have used these for many years, and never do they cloud water. This is more likely a bacterial bloom, if fish are added to a fishless tank (assuming it was cycled, or has live plants--floating plants are always beneficial in a QT as it calms fish considerably). I wouldn't worry about this, but monitor ammonia and nitrite.

Awesome, though I do believe I am feeding a bit too much. And also partly to blame could be the stuff I need to siphon out with a hose instead of just plain water changes.

Side note- is it safe to use glass tubes from my test kit if they have been sitting without water in them for a while? My tanks had parasites before but the tubes haven't been used in a while. Can I bleach them or boil them? Right now I'm just using the tetra brand test strips which are decent except the nitrate doesn't work anymore (other people have had this problem). The other tests are very similar to liquid.

I don't feed fish the first day they arrive, but the next day I usually do. With seven cories, I would put in 3-4 pellets at a feeding, and only once a day. I have 50 in my 70g, and today they happened to be fed these shrimp pellets, and I put in 8 or 9 in total. The pellets in my can of Omega One are about 4, maybe 5 ml in length.

Fish are best fed early in their day. Wait one hour after the tank light comes on, to allow the fish's eyes to become adjusted (it takes around 30 minutes, but best to give them one hour). It can be any time after that, but not later than an hour before the tank lights go out, though with cories that are nocturnal this is less of an issue, and they can be fed at night. If you feed fish at roughly the same time every day, they will quickly learn this time, and expect feeding. This is beneficial; I have rarely fed them outside the "norm," and it is interesting that they should little if any interest--simply because they do not expect food at this time. Fish learn day/night times, it is part of their circadian rhythm, which is why regular light on/off times are so important.

Hmm...I think I'm feeding a bit too much then. I will drop it back a tad. And I do usually feed them in the morning. Maybe this is a slight cause of the cloudy water. To help acclimate to daylight (if I'm home from work on time) there is a lamp I turn on next to/slightly higher than the tank before their light actually comes on.

Yes, just for variety. I use the shrimp pellets as the only food for new cories in the QT, and for fry I rescue from the canister filter until they are large enough to go in the main tank. This is nutritious food, and Omega One is one of the most reliable brands, with no "meal" but whole fish, shrimp, etc.

In the main tank, once the fish are settled, I alternate three sinking foods for cories (and loaches and whiptails and twig catfish). Shrimp pellets, Omega One Veggie Rounds, and Nutrafin tabs (these have earthworm). Once a week, on the water change day as their treat about two hours after the WC, they get frozen daphnia and bloodworms. One day a week is fasting. The Veggie Rounds are important for giving them vegetable matter which benefits a healthier digestive system. There is fish in them too. My substrate fish love all of these; the cories will be clustered around a disk or tab for several hours.

Awesome! At least I got the right food first! Lol. I knee they weren't "algae eaters" and needed meatier foods so this is what I went with first. I'll check out the other two soon as well.

I have Hikari brand freeze dried daphnia and bloodworms...are these OK to give occassionally? I planned on doing frozen and also Repashy foods when I aquire more fish.

I, unfortunately, need to drop pellets in just before lights come on for the sinking shrimp pellets. My angels are now large enough that if I wait for their eyes to adjust they will swallow the pellets whole, resulting in big tummies! I usually drop the pellets before turning the light on for about one minute, allowing my corydora to become more alert before I turn the tank light off and let the ambient light of the room help them wake up. Once the pellets actually hit the bottom my angels are pretty slow to realize there is food. There have been occasions where I'm forced to turn the tank light on after a late shift at work as I inspect the tank before bed, my angels seem to wake up and become alert in under five minutes and begin to beg for food.

I, unfortunately, need to drop pellets in just before lights come on for the sinking shrimp pellets. My angels are now large enough that if I wait for their eyes to adjust they will swallow the pellets whole, resulting in big tummies! I usually drop the pellets before turning the light on for about one minute, allowing my corydora to become more alert before I turn the tank light off and let the ambient light of the room help them wake up. Once the pellets actually hit the bottom my angels are pretty slow to realize there is food. There have been occasions where I'm forced to turn the tank light on after a late shift at work as I inspect the tank before bed, my angels seem to wake up and become alert in under five minutes and begin to beg for food.

Right now they are by themselves. But they will be going in with a gourami and tetras/rasboras later on. I will definitely keep an eye on that. Lol. Some put food in for the rest of the fish and then drop the rest of the food in and that can work. But either way, I will watch and make sure they get fed! I will also have a ramp up timer on that tank too. As for this one it's just a regular timer.

I do, however, need to siphon stuff off the sand. My homemade python attachment is strictly just for a water change and not substrate cleaning. It has a lot of wood rot on the sand from the Malaysian driftwood. I thought it was cleaner than it was until they started kicking it up.

I don't worry much about this, though at feeding time the water does always get a bit hazy. But with sand there is a host of good bacteria living in the substrate and this is all part of the biological system. Cories love to root around in sand (or mud in their habitats).

Side note- is it safe to use glass tubes from my test kit if they have been sitting without water in them for a while? My tanks had parasites before but the tubes haven't been used in a while. Can I bleach them or boil them? Right now I'm just using the tetra brand test strips which are decent except the nitrate doesn't work anymore (other people have had this problem). The other tests are very similar to liquid.

I just rinse tubes in hot water out of the tap, several rinsings (8-9 usually) after each use. I would not want to use bleach or anything other than hot water for fear of affecting future tests.

I have Hikari brand freeze dried daphnia and bloodworms...are these OK to give occassionally? I planned on doing frozen and also Repashy foods when I aquire more fish.

Most will avoid freeze dried foods. I believe the problem is that the fish eat them, and then the foods as they get wet will expand, causing internal problems. This seems to be much more a concern than it is with flake foods or pellets. It would also be hard to get the freeze-dried foods down to the substrate with other fish present.

Light is very important and the tank light should only come on once during every 24 hour period. This can impact the circadian rhythm of fish even more than it does other animals (including humans--jet lag is due to this light/dark issue). The following excerpt from an article I wrote will explain.

The health of fish is closely connected to the intensity of the overhead light, various types of light, and sudden changes from dark to light or light to dark. To understand this, we must know something about the fish’s physiology. The primary receptor of light is the eye, but other body cells are also sensitive to light.

Fish eyes are not much different from those of other vertebrates including humans. Our eyes share a cornea, an iris, a lens, a pupil, and a retina. The latter contains rods which allow us to see in dim light and cones which perceive colours; while mammals (like us) have two types of cones, fish have three—one for each of the colours red, green and blue. These connect to nerve cells which transmit images to the brain, and the optic lobe is the largest part of the fish’s brain.

These cells are very delicate; humans have pupils that expand or contract to alter the amount of light entering the eye and eyelids, both of which help to prevent damage occurring due to bright light. Fish (with very few exceptions such as some shark species) do not have eyelids, and in most species their pupils are fixed and cannot alter. In bright light, the rods retract into the retina and the cones approach the surface; in dim light the opposite occurs. But unlike our pupils that change very quickly, this process in fish takes time. Scientific studies on salmon have shown that it takes half an hour for the eye to adjust to bright light, and an hour to adjust to dim light. This is why the aquarist should wait at least 30 minutes after the tank lights come on before feeding or performing a water change or other tank maintenance; this allows the fish to adjust to the light difference.

The Day/Night Cycle

Most animals have an internal body clock, called a circadian rhythm, which is modified by the light/dark cycle every 24 hours. This is the explanation for jet-lag in humans when time zones are crossed—our circadian rhythm is unbalanced and has to reset itself, which it does according to periods of light and dark. Our eyes play a primary role in this, but many of our body cells have some reaction to light levels. In fish this light sensitivity in their cells is very high.

Previously I mentioned that the rods and cones in the eye shift according to the changes in light. This process is also anticipated according to the time of day; the fish “expects” dawn and dusk, and the eyes will automatically begin to adjust accordingly. This is due to the circadian rhythm.

This is one reason why during each 24 hours a regular period of light/dark—ensuring there are several hours of complete darkness—is essential for the fish. In the tropics, day and night is equal for all 365 days a year, with approximately ten to twelve hours each of daylight and complete darkness, separated by fairly brief periods of dawn or dusk. The period of daylight produced by direct tank lighting can be shorter; and the period of total darkness can be somewhat shorter or longer—but there must be several hours of complete darkness in the aquarium. The dusk and dawn periods will appear to be stretched out, but that causes no problems for the fish. It is the bright overhead light that is the concern, along with having a suitable period of total darkness. And the "day" period when the tank lights are on should be one continuous period, not sporadic, and it should be the same every 24 hours or it will impact the circadian rhythm causing more stress.

Light is very important and the tank light should only come on once during every 24 hour period. This can impact the circadian rhythm of fish even more than it does other animals (including humans--jet lag is due to this light/dark issue). The following excerpt from an article I wrote will explain.

The health of fish is closely connected to the intensity of the overhead light, various types of light, and sudden changes from dark to light or light to dark. To understand this, we must know something about the fish’s physiology. The primary receptor of light is the eye, but other body cells are also sensitive to light.

Fish eyes are not much different from those of other vertebrates including humans. Our eyes share a cornea, an iris, a lens, a pupil, and a retina. The latter contains rods which allow us to see in dim light and cones which perceive colours; while mammals (like us) have two types of cones, fish have three—one for each of the colours red, green and blue. These connect to nerve cells which transmit images to the brain, and the optic lobe is the largest part of the fish’s brain.

These cells are very delicate; humans have pupils that expand or contract to alter the amount of light entering the eye and eyelids, both of which help to prevent damage occurring due to bright light. Fish (with very few exceptions such as some shark species) do not have eyelids, and in most species their pupils are fixed and cannot alter. In bright light, the rods retract into the retina and the cones approach the surface; in dim light the opposite occurs. But unlike our pupils that change very quickly, this process in fish takes time. Scientific studies on salmon have shown that it takes half an hour for the eye to adjust to bright light, and an hour to adjust to dim light. This is why the aquarist should wait at least 30 minutes after the tank lights come on before feeding or performing a water change or other tank maintenance; this allows the fish to adjust to the light difference.

The Day/Night Cycle

Most animals have an internal body clock, called a circadian rhythm, which is modified by the light/dark cycle every 24 hours. This is the explanation for jet-lag in humans when time zones are crossed—our circadian rhythm is unbalanced and has to reset itself, which it does according to periods of light and dark. Our eyes play a primary role in this, but many of our body cells have some reaction to light levels. In fish this light sensitivity in their cells is very high.

Previously I mentioned that the rods and cones in the eye shift according to the changes in light. This process is also anticipated according to the time of day; the fish “expects” dawn and dusk, and the eyes will automatically begin to adjust accordingly. This is due to the circadian rhythm.

This is one reason why during each 24 hours a regular period of light/dark—ensuring there are several hours of complete darkness—is essential for the fish. In the tropics, day and night is equal for all 365 days a year, with approximately ten to twelve hours each of daylight and complete darkness, separated by fairly brief periods of dawn or dusk. The period of daylight produced by direct tank lighting can be shorter; and the period of total darkness can be somewhat shorter or longer—but there must be several hours of complete darkness in the aquarium. The dusk and dawn periods will appear to be stretched out, but that causes no problems for the fish. It is the bright overhead light that is the concern, along with having a suitable period of total darkness. And the "day" period when the tank lights are on should be one continuous period, not sporadic, and it should be the same every 24 hours or it will impact the circadian rhythm causing more stress.
I understand your concern Byron and the effort you've made to inform me on the information regarding the light. My fish are on a schedule of the room lights coming on at 6:30 before the tank lights come on at 7. Due to my job I usually work until midnight so the lights go out around 5 to 6PM with the fading sunlight in my curtained room providing ambient light until night. The sun is completely set where I live around 6:45ish so it isnt long until they are in complete darkness. I have nocturnal corydora in my tank that require feeding at night as well as my pleco. As the tank is in my room I cover it with black cloth to prevent any interruption to their sleep other than the brief moment it takes me to turn on the light, grab the cloth, and place it over their tank. In this brief moment is when I drop the food in as I stated above, my angels seem to have an unnatural reaction time to the light. If I don't get the cloth on and the food in under about two or three minutes they become alert, but this process takes only about 1 as I have a slat in the back of my hood I drop the pellets in to avoid opening the actual lid and causing further disturbance.

I only feed pellets and other sinking foods once every three days, so this isn't an everyday occurence. Until I can find a better way than an automatic feeder (which is garbage) to feed my nocturnal fish without comprimising the intestinal health of my angels, this is my best method. I've attempted to feed them during the morning once the room light comes on but my angels become active VERY quickly. By dropping the food in while they sleep but my nocturnals are awake I can ensure they get their food without my angels gorging themselves the the point of bloating.

Last edited:
I understand your concern Byron and the effort you've made to inform me on the information regarding the light. My fish are on a schedule of the room lights coming on at 6:30 before the tank lights come on at 7. Due to my job I usually work until midnight so the lights go out around 5 to 6PM with the fading sunlight in my curtained room providing ambient light until night. The sun is completely set where I live around 6:45ish so it isnt long until they are in complete darkness. I have nocturnal corydora in my tank that require feeding at night as well as my pleco. As the tank is in my room I cover it with black cloth to prevent any interruption to their sleep other than the brief moment it takes me to turn on the light, grab the cloth, and place it over their tank. In this brief moment is when I drop the food in as I stated above, my angels seem to have an unnatural reaction time to the light. If I don't get the cloth on and the food in under about two or three minutes they become alert, but this process takes only about 1 as I have a slat in the back of my hood I drop the pellets in to avoid opening the actual lid and causing further disturbance.

You can drop in food during total darkness without lights. I have done this, as I have a couple of spotted woodcats that are total nocturnal fish, they will never come out during any light, only complete blackness. Once or twice I have used a flashlight (this to check a filter than sometimes leaks after cleaning) and that has caused enough problem for some fish. But you should absolutely never turn on (or off) the tank light in a dark room, this is causing severe stress.

I don't worry much about this, though at feeding time the water does always get a bit hazy. But with sand there is a host of good bacteria living in the substrate and this is all part of the biological system. Cories love to root around in sand (or mud in their habitats).

They were being kept on gravel at Petsmart. Not a clue of how they were before they got there. When I got them in my tank they went absolutely nuts sifting through the sand, it was funny. I think the water is a little less hazy today so that's good. I don't think I've seen as much flashing today either so that's great!

I just rinse tubes in hot water out of the tap, several rinsings (8-9 usually) after each use. I would not want to use bleach or anything other than hot water for fear of affecting future tests.

Thanks! I will give them a good rinse in hot water. I did bleach them once and used dechlorinator for them and them let them dry a long time ago. Right now the tubes have been dry for a while so I would think they would be safe, but just wanted to make sure.

Most will avoid freeze dried foods. I believe the problem is that the fish eat them, and then the foods as they get wet will expand, causing internal problems. This seems to be much more a concern than it is with flake foods or pellets. It would also be hard to get the freeze-dried foods down to the substrate with other fish present.

Thanks. I will avoid it with them just in case. I think some people soak them first but I'm still not sure if they would float or sink after that. Right now I would rather them be on the better pellets anyway. They do seem to love them!

Most reactions

Back