Peppered Cory Floating

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GetItSahn

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I purchased 3 corys today. They have been in my tank for maybe 5 hours. I have noticed that the smallest one is floating. he'll either be on his side against the glass or upside down next to the filter/heater. I only fed the whole tank one time since putting them in. I would like to know if this sounds like something that can be cured by eating a blanched pea or is this serious enough where i should just return the fish to prevent infestation of the rest of my tank. I have snails and shrimp also and i have no hospital tank. My tank is 29g. If you need more info just ask. I can't post a picture but i told you exactly what was happening. please respond!

Almost forgot to say that as soon as i stick my finger in the water around him, he immediately swims away perfectly, he also swims away if he floats into the current

Cory put out a toxin when stressed. If they were in the bag together the smaller fish could be suffering from it. Depending on exposure time and amount it could recover.

Of course I have no way of knowing for sure if this is what's wrong but it is one strong possibility.

tcamos said:
Cory put out a toxin when stressed. If they were in the bag together the smaller fish could be suffering from it. Depending on exposure time and amount it could recover.

Of course I have no way of knowing for sure if this is what's wrong but it is one strong possibility.

it was in the bag for maybe 1 hour before being put in the tank. The other two are acting fine as far as i can see. Assuming it is the toxin, is there anything i can do or just wait it out?

Increase the oxygen content of the water through greater surface agitation and wait. If that's what it is. If all three were in the same bag it's quite likely.

Well I have had fish do that before, sadly (they were by my mistake though and it was caused by the filter not working properly). You have a good sized fish tank so I don't think it caused the stress, but the long trip caused it (1 hour is a long time),

Piece of crap phone, sorry tcamos, for repeating your stuff so I 2nd him I guess

My filter is working as it always does. How do i increase surface agitation

Always happy to have a second. :)

filters help...she does as well. Whatever makes the surface really ripple.

Thanks for your help tcamos and PlecoPerson. I was really concerned over it being something contagious. hopefully the little guy will pull through!

I'll give an update on him in the morning

Hope he will be doing better, I hate to see catfish come and go. It is just sad. 

Think the problem isn't as big as thought : Corydoras breath air from the surface. It's well known that when stressed they often take too much air in and will start to flow. This problem is often decribed (often Paleatus by the way). Picked up a Paleatus last weekend and thought is was dying too ((not floating by the way). It's perfectly normal now.  My advice : Leave it to unstress (you could put out the lights) and to reduce stesshormons and air in it's body.  
Don't think it is dying (because of selfpoissoning as mentioned above.)
Don't keep them too warm and try to get some more (I've a herd of 8 which is great)

New fish should be kept in darkness and not fed for a day to reduce stress :3

Thank you DoubleDutch and techen! I awoke this morning to see my cory laying at the bottom of the tank with the rest of my corys. He was breathing fine and was still alert. I'm hoping he is better now!

GetItSahn said:

Always have a spare air pump on hand.  Add a line to the bottom of your tank with an airstone or air wand.  The bubbles will break on surface and create agitation.

draxis said:

Always have a spare air pump on hand.  Add a line to the bottom of your tank with an airstone or air wand.  The bubbles will break on surface and create agitation.

I almost bought one today, only 13 bucks for the pump, tubing, and bubbler

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back