Penguin Tetra Bully

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kkppww91

Reaction score
I have a penguin tetra (used to be a shoal of 5) that bully's my other fish until they hide. How could I solve this? Also the other fish are 3 neon tetras (also used to have a shoal of 6) and 3 guppys and 1 Molly.

You could try upping the numbers of them. All Tetras should be in groups of at least 6. Behaviour like this is often as a result of feeling insecure, not just because it's a mean fish. Upping the numbers will also reset the power balance in the tank

When I had a shoal of the penguins it was still like the dominant one. I think it was through stress that they died. Or are they like that in shoals sometimes?

There is always a hierarchy in a shoal of fish so its quite normal. Also the dominant fish will be challenged by others wanting to take top spot. This is why you have a larger number so that any bullying is not just focused on one individual. Also of course there will be both genders and some of the chasing will be the males chasing the females. Up your numbers and things should improve.

Thanks. I'm off to pets at home tomorrow to do just that :)

I would also up the number of neons if I were you. They are the same, they will nip at other fish a lot when in smaller numbers, you might not see it happening but most likely it is

I have 5 penguin tetras now and 9 neon tetras. The penguin tetra I had before is bullying his own kind into corners. Hope he let's them settle in and stop his old habits.

Try rearranging the decor, it might not make any difference but might help.

It's going to be changed to sand substrate so I hope it feels like a new environment to the penguin, and calm him down.

I was thinking more of the layout, plants or any ornaments or wood.

Ok. They are shoaling more today hope it stays that way.

I brought 6 penguins yesterday they have upset the other fish I had to separate them they are so aggressive now attacking each other now I'm am taking them back tommorrow... Its been non stop attacking by the penguins... Nr er seen any thing like it!!!

Most reactions

trending

Back