Pecking nightmare!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Guppylover3x

Fish Addict
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
My guppies tail was nipped so Iā€™ve been carrying out water changes every other day or so so try encourage healing. Even though it was quite slow the guppyā€™s tail was growing back and even a bit longer than before. This morning Iā€™ve woken up to a massive chunk of his regrow missing. He looks worse than he did at the beginning now! Can anyone help? I donā€™t want think to turn into finrot and for as long as his tails nipped the other fish are going to keep at him I think.

I know water changes help but is there anything else I can do? Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
You need to quarantine that fish as soon as possible. It sounds like the guppy is not compatible with the other fish in your tank. Do you have another tank you can put him in alone? Maybe a 5 gallon, preferably a 10 gallon?

You need to quarantine that fish. It sounds like the guppy is not compatible with the other fish in your tank. Do you have another tank you can put him in?
I think the problem is more that there isnā€™t enough. I only have 4 male guppies, having more than 6+ reduces aggression. I have got another tank I will have to set this up over the weekend. Thanks for your help.

Fin rot is not the issue and I would not fuss over that. You need to stop the fin nipping, nothing else. Once you find the culprit, you will have to do something, up to you.

Fin rot is not the issue and I would not fuss over that. You need to stop the fin nipping, nothing else. Once you find the culprit, you will have to do something, up to you.
Thanks for your reply Byron. I think I know who the main culprit is but it is in the guppies nature to pester each other. Especially when Iā€™m smaller groups I only have 4 at the moment. If I remove one bully another fish will always take his place, pecking orders are a nightmare. Iā€™m setting up a separate tank for him this weekend just until his tail heals.

Hopefully this helps. Thanks for you help.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Byron. I think I know who the main culprit is but it is in the guppies nature to pester each other. Especially when Iā€™m smaller groups I only have 4 at the moment. If I remove one bully another fish will always take his place, pecking orders are a nightmare. Iā€™m setting up a separate tank for him this weekend just until his tail heals. Hopefully this helps. Thanks for you help.
Personally, I would quarantine the one until it is healed then pick up a few more and see how they do. It may come down to either separating the tank off or putting a few in another tank.

Personally, I would quarantine the one until it is healed then pick up a few more and see how they do. It may come down to either separating the tank off or putting a few in another tank.
I agree, I think Iā€™ll wait until he heals and introduce him back in with more guppies eventually. He will have his tank set up by weekend hopefully if all goes well. I couldnā€™t keep them separate because 5g is no size for guppies. I learnt this when I joined the forum.

One alone would be ok inside I think personally but I wouldnā€™t add anymore to this tank.

I agree, I think Iā€™ll wait until he heals and introduce him back in with more guppies eventually. He will have his tank set up by weekend hopefully if all goes well. I couldnā€™t keep them separate because 5g is no size for guppies. I learnt this when I joined the forum.

One alone would be ok inside I think personally but I wouldnā€™t add anymore to this tank.
A 5 gallon tank isn't ideal, but if it's the difference between being pecked to death or living in a smaller home, I'd keep him alone. Make sure you have a heater in the 5 gallon tank as the water temperature can fluctuate wildly. Is this tank something maybe you can put on a desk at work?

Last edited:
A 5 gallon tank isn't ideal, but if it's the difference between being pecked to death or living in a smaller home, I'd keep him alone. Make sure you have a heater in the 5 gallon tank as the water temperature can fluctuate wildly. Is this tank something maybe you can put on a desk at work?
Iā€™ll keep him alone until he is healed as stated. Iā€™m sure heā€™ll be fine hopefully once heā€™s healed and thereā€™s more of them. Heā€™s quite small in comparison to the others this may also have a part to play. May I point out that guppies can manage on their own, but ideally long term shouldnā€™t be kept alone. They would never be alone in their own habitat. Guppies arenā€™t solitary fish.

However, if he seems happier in this tank alone I may just leave him in you could be correct in saying their not compatible.

I am setting up the tank so heā€™s allowed time to heal alone. If for any reason I introduced him back into the tank and they didnā€™t get along I would either remove him straight away or seek further advice so heā€™s not ā€œpecked to deathā€.

Iā€™m keeping the new setup in my bedroom like the other tank I have. I have got alternative places to put the tank but Iā€™d rather set it up were I want it. This will cause less stress for the fish too.

I am aware he needs a filter, heater, and air pump, but thanks for also confirming. I have everything I need but an ornament to connect to the air pump and will be getting this soon. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back