Pebbles/stones from the garden

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Reaction score
I have a substrate of sand/deponit underneath fine gravel, with a couple of pieces of bogwood. I'd like to sprinkle a few small stones/pebbles around as well. Can I just pick some out of the garden and boil them, or would they still not be safe for use?

i just pick some out of my got mine straight out of the garden, gave them a scrub with some water and then boiled them. didnt do any harm to my tank. :D

They should be fine.

It wouldn't hurt to put a drop or two of vinegar on them, just to make sure they're not limestone or something else that will change your water parameters.

i wasn't sure of this either and went and bought pebbles!!! that was long before i discovered this forum tho........ :huh:

Anything like quartz, granite, flint, slate etc. etc. is inert in water, so as long as it is cleaned, (remember any pesticides/fertilisers etc. you may have used in the past), will be okay, just remember slate for example can be very sharp and should have it's edges filed down.

If it fizzes with vinegar or other acid, then it is carbonaceous, and will raise your pH and hardness.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back