Peat filter media

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Asteria

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Thinking of getting some for my tank.
But i have a few questions.
Does it work in lowering the ph well or does it drop it too harshly?
Does it colour your water?

"Does it colour your water?"
Yes. Many of the same substances that lower the ph also colour the water.
Depending on the fish you're keeping this could even be good for them.

"Does it work in lowering the ph well or does it drop it too harshly?"
It does work, but it depends on how much you use and what the starting point of ph and kh are.
The higher the starting ph and the lower the target ph and the more difficult it'll be.
The higher the kh the more this change will be resisted.

So if you have a low kh a little peat will be enough, and the water will be less coloured.
Even with a higher kh, if you need to reduce the ph a little you will achieve your result with less peat.

If you have a high kh and need to lower the ph by a substantial factor, you might want to look at RO water instead of peat (or maybe with a little peat).

"Does it colour your water?"
Yes. Many of the same substances that lower the ph also colour the water.
Depending on the fish you're keeping this could even be good for them.

"Does it work in lowering the ph well or does it drop it too harshly?"
It does work, but it depends on how much you use and what the starting point of ph and kh are.
The higher the starting ph and the lower the target ph and the more difficult it'll be.
The higher the kh the more this change will be resisted.

So if you have a low kh a little peat will be enough, and the water will be less coloured.
Even with a higher kh, if you need to reduce the ph a little you will achieve your result with less peat.

If you have a high kh and need to lower the ph by a substantial factor, you might want to look at RO water instead of peat (or maybe with a little peat).

Thank you so much for your reply. Very helpful indeed :)

I used almond leaf once and did like the colour it gave my tank. I just didnt want it to turn like mud. I want as much a realistic environment (for the fish I choose) as possible. I know that tannings are good for certain fish if not all.

Ive measured my kh and its 12dkh my ph is 7.5-8pH i would like to get it down to atleast 7

Hmm... 12 is quite high. You might want to consider either fish that enjoy high hardness and high Ph or diluting your water with RO water.

What fish were you planning to host?

Yeah i thought as much. I am interested in going down the ro route since i live in such a hard water area.

I was looking at killifish and corys
There maximum ph levels are at 7.5 - 7.0 pH i have kept a species of killi before in hard water they survived

Yeah i thought as much. I am interested in going down the ro route since i live in such a hard water area.

I was looking at killifish and corys
There maximum ph levels are at 7.5 - 7.0 pH i have kept a species of killi before in hard water they survived

Do you know the actual GH of the source water? You mention KH previously. The pH around 7 to 7.5 is not that bad, but the GH is very important for fish.

The best way to reduce GH/KH/pH is by diluting the water with "pure" water such as RO, or rainwater if in a safe collection area and you have enough to run you through weekly water changes. Once you get the water diluted, then peat would have more of an effect. Dried leaves like oak, maple, beech that are collected in the autumn also do this. The degree again depends upon the initial GH/KH as Zante previously mentioned. And of course, if you do use peat or some other organic, it needs replacing because it wears out, this too depending upon the GH/KH to start with. Diluting the water in a specific amount at every water change will of itself maintain stable conditions, which is much more difficult with organic substances.

Byron.

One problem with peat is that the effect is not permanen. The Tannins it releases into the water will be acidic and will counteract your high PH to some extent. But once the Peat runs out of Tannins the PH will go back up. It won't have any significant effect on GH or KH. The only way to lower these values is to remove calciucm and magnesium from the water and Peat doesn't do that. Mixing RO with your tap water will. And if you use the same amount of RO every water change the effect will be permanent.

Byron-
At the moment I do not know. I did test it but i think my chemicals were too old as couldnt get a read on it. I an waiting for a new one. Hopefully its whats arriving today.
It seems that going RO might be the best way. Unless I can find a way to collect rainwater also. As we have such a high yearly rainfall in my area it might be worth trying it.

Also my pH is between 7.5-8 but this will be tested again when my new test kit arrives

Oh i did actually go online and get thr water parameters for my area

378.5 mg/l :Calcium Carbonate
151.4 mg/l :Calcium
26.344 °C : Degrees Clark
37.85 °F: Degrees French
21.499 °dH : Degrees German
3.785 mmol/l :Millimoles

Last edited:
Byron-
At the moment I do not know. I did test it but i think my chemicals were too old as couldnt get a read on it. I an waiting for a new one. Hopefully its whats arriving today.
It seems that going RO might be the best way. Unless I can find a way to collect rainwater also. As we have such a high yearly rainfall in my area it might be worth trying it.

Also my pH is between 7.5-8 but this will be tested again when my new test kit arrives

Oh i did actually go online and get thr water parameters for my area

378.5 mg/l :Calcium Carbonate
151.4 mg/l :Calcium
26.344 °C : Degrees Clark
37.85 °F: Degrees French
21.499 °dH : Degrees German
3.785 mmol/l :Millimoles

These numbers from the water authority show very hard water. Diluting with RO or rainwater is your only safe long term solution if you want soft water fish. When you do dilute, the reduction in GH/KH will be proportional to the mix; example, mixing 50% tap and 50% pure water will result in half the GH/KH from the tap, so here GH would go from 378 ppm down to 189 ppm [mg/l is the same as ppm].

Thank you all for your help, time and advice. However atthis time I am just at going to look at hard water fish keeping. As much as I'd love to keep some fish my current accommodation wont beable to houze the RO canisters. I simply just do not have the room and collecting rain water seems very difficult. But i will be looking into going full RO one day in the future

In that case, may I suggest a colony of shelldwellers?
Amusing little characters :)

In that case, may I suggest a colony of shelldwellers?
Amusing little characters :)

Yes you may indeed. I'll have a look at some :)

Omg these guys sound amazing! However I've got plants in my tank now. They might dig them up!

Last edited:
Desert gobies? Chlamydogobius eremius.
Again, full of character, but a lot kinder to plants.
Not as easy to find though...

Very very tough. They will be quite happy from moderately hard water to double the salinity of the sea, from 5 degrees celsius to 35 degrees celsius.

They are quite short lived though, so you might want to get a breeding colony started if you want them for more than a couple of years.

Desert gobies? Chlamydogobius eremius.
Again, full of character, but a lot kinder to plants.
Not as easy to find though...

Very very tough. They will be quite happy from moderately hard water to double the salinity of the sea, from 5 degrees celsius to 35 degrees celsius.

They are quite short lived though, so you might want to get a breeding colony started if you want them for more than a couple of years.

Wow they look amazing!
And great that they arnt seen so much i love having unusual fish :)
I have a feeling i have seen them in my lfs Will have to take a look again when my tank is cycled :)
Thank you so much for your input!
If you have anymore please do let me know!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back