Peacocks To Mbuna

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

njstockley

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello all!

So after experimenting with various iterations of my Peacock tank - starting all male, to trying a couple of different breeding groups - I've decided it's not working for me. The males are stunning but with only males there is no interaction - so I introduced females but they are so drab. So Mbuna seems like the next step...and for Mbuna, you need rocks. Below is an afternoon / evening's work, so I hope you enjoy:

Tank - Juwel Vision 260
Filtration: 2 x EX1200's
Heater: Hydor 300 ETH

And I will be adding a strong powerhead to get some circulation through the rock pile.

How it was...

1-1.jpg

Rockery of Gumtree - £20 incl delivery - about 80kg maybe a bit more.

3.jpg

Egg crate to spread the weight (£5 of A/C):

2-1.jpg

Tank emptied and substrate stirred:

5.jpg

Rocks cleaned (sorry this is unecessary!):

4.jpg

Scaping:

6.jpg

And the end result:

Tank2-1.jpg

Tank.jpg

Current stocking is a group of yellow labs, a breeding pair of Aulonocara Firefish, a Scianochromis Fryeri, and a Placidochromis Electra, a BN plec, and a syno. All but the labs and BN will be sold. Other stocking is TBC, but I'm leaning towards Demasoni for this one - too late to be working that all out now!

Tomorrow I'm going to add a blue bulb, as well as buy and tie loads of Anubias to the rocks.

Hope you like it!!

I'm "working from home" again this Wednesday, so will be picking up a few fish. As of Weds lunchtime the tank will be stocked as follows:

3 Ps Flavus
3 Ps Pelvic Mdoka
7 Yellow Labs
8 Ps Acei Yellow Tail
8 Afra Hara "White Top"
1 BN Plec

May also try and pick up a power head in town to get some current through the rocks (or just order an APS one).

I've still got 2 peacocks to sell but they should be picked up on Tues PM. Unfortunately, this will more than likely mean taking a lot of the rock out and starting again...Wish is annoying as love the way it looks right now!

looking nice nick good deal on the rocks did the seller deliver them has it would have cost alot more for a courier, i have just removed my holding auratus into my fry tank so done a deep clean and rescaped my rocks they are nearly the top of the tank :D

also i have my powerhead near the top of the water facing upwards giving it alot of surface aggitation :)

looking nice nick good deal on the rocks did the seller deliver them has it would have cost alot more for a courier, i have just removed my holding auratus into my fry tank so done a deep clean and rescaped my rocks they are nearly the top of the tank :D

also i have my powerhead near the top of the water facing upwards giving it alot of surface aggitation :)

Hi Lee - yeah the guy delivered - although I had to walk them all up the stairs. My arms today are killing me but that gives me an excuse not to have to go the gym. The outlets of the EX1200s I have provide enough at the surface...it's just for pushing all the s*** out of the rocks that I want one and making cleaning a bit easier.

Your Auratus are constantly holding!! How do you keep up. Would love to see your rearranged tank.

Well all peacocks have now sold. Unfortunately it mean removing all of the rock to be able to get at them. But needs must. Anyway, this is now the view from my bed:

N1.jpg

And a couple of other shots:

N2.jpg

N3.jpg

The rock isn't quite as white in real life as in the pics.

Picking up my newbies at 9AM tomorrow!

The fish went in this morning. In the 5 hours since it looks like one Flavus and one of the new Labs are holding. The largest male Lab is still staking his territory but no big fights just yet. The Afra Hara are stunning but will likely thin down the group once they grown - most are about 4/5cm. Also removed quite a bit of the rock as once the fish was in there was barely any room to move.

Looks great! Can't wait to see pics of your additions. I'm also looking to get Afra Hara. How many new friends did you manage to get?

3 Ps Flavus
3 Ps Pelvic Mdoka
6 Yellow Labs
8 Ps Acei Yellow Tail
10/11 Afra Hara "White Top"
I had a few of the Labs in there but wanted to top up the numbers. Also have a lone BN somewhere in there but not sure when I'll next see that guy! All lights are being kept off for now just whilst they settle (although they seem very settled to me!) so will get pics etc done later.

Some very quickly taken pics...fish are settling and starting to colour up. Lots of activity in there but the Acei and Flavus just weren't cooperating tonight!
Sub-adult Male Afra Hara "White Top"

AfraMale2.jpg

Female Afra Hara "White Top"

AfraFemale1.jpg

Yellow Labs

DomLab.jpg

LabSpawning.jpg

Pelvic Mdoka Male

MdokaMale.jpg

Full Tank (Can't get the colour contrast right on my phone camera - the rocks aren't as bright in real life!)

FTSSide.jpg

FTSfromBelow2.jpg

FTSfromBelow.jpg

Looks great :good: What's the average size of your fish? Just getting an idea for when I order mine.

Really very varied...

The labs are all 4/5 inches, so are the pelvic mdoka, with the flavus a bit smaller. Acei and Afras are 1.5-3inches. Fully grown I should still have space for a couple more trios or another group of something too.

Hi Lee - yeah the guy delivered - although I had to walk them all up the stairs. My arms today are killing me but that gives me an excuse not to have to go the gym. The outlets of the EX1200s I have provide enough at the surface...it's just for pushing all the s*** out of the rocks that I want one and making cleaning a bit easier.

Your Auratus are constantly holding!! How do you keep up. Would love to see your rearranged tank.

DSC01501.jpg

all could change again has i have another Cynotilapia Afra 'Chiwindi' holding so may need to remove all the rock again to catch her

Recent pic of a couple of the Afra Hara white top boys sorting out their pecking order...

Afra.jpg

Looking good Nick, didn't have a clue that you changed to mbuna? How come?
Where did you get the fish from? :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back