Pea Puffer Questions

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Souperman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a pea puffer for my 10 gallon tank. But before I did I had a few questions.

How would I need to feed it?(I would be feeding frozen food.)

I have heard that I would need to stick with one pea puffer for this tank. Is this true?

Any other useful info is also appreciated.

What fish do you have in the tank currently, if any? Dwarf/pea puffers are very nippy and do better in a species only tank; your other fish might not be suitable tank mates (there aren't many).

Pea puffers really do best on a diet of live snails; when I had mine, i never got them to take any frozen foods, and that's quite common.

The tank would be a pea puffer only tank and I was planning on feeding snails. I would just not be able to have them all the time because I currently don't have room to have a snail tank for raising snails so I would have to pick them up as needed. How fast do pea puffers go through snails?

They go through a lot of snails. I started with three puffers and ended up with one; I strongly suspect they didn't get enough food, despite my best efforts, as they always looked slightly hollow bellied. I lost two very quickly (within a couple of weeks) the other one I had for about a year, and he ate four or five snails (about 5mm shell sized) every day.

I, at first, did what you're planning; but I very rapidly realised I would have to start breeding snails; I would very, very strongly advise you not to try keeping pea puffers unless you've got a good breeding population of snails. If they don't take to frozen foods, you will need the snails, no doubt about it, IMHO.

You don't need a lot of room to breed common pond or ramshorns snails (my puffers couldn't get into Malaysian trumpet snails; they have a very hard shell, even as newborns); any sort of container will do, and it doesn't need filtering or lighting; just daylight and some plants. I used little goldfish bowls quite successfully (I still have them going, even though I no longer have the puffers!)

Thanks for the response I myself would be down to take on the task but currently I still live with my parents and they won't want me breeding snails. Good to know when I get to when I am able to I will be able to care for one though.

You don't need a lot of room to breed common pond or ramshorns snails (my puffers couldn't get into Malaysian trumpet snails; they have a very hard shell, even as newborns); any sort of container will do, and it doesn't need filtering or lighting; just daylight and some plants. I used little goldfish bowls quite successfully (I still have them going, even though I no longer have the puffers!)

Where do you keep the snail bowls, indoors, in a garage? I'm wondering about temperature - I have some assassin snails and I need a food source for them so wondering if I could breed snails for them?

I keep mine indoors, as I think the British winters are too cold for the snails to keep breeding; of course there are tropical snails too, which would need a heated tank. I just keep 'normal' pond ramshorns, although I do have some rather handsome red bodied ones that I'm very fond of :)

Breeding snails is really easy, as anyone who's ever had a snail infestation in their tank will know; any water tight container, some live plants and plenty of food, plus a few water changes every now and then :)

Excellent, thanks for the info

*wanders off wondering how to convince OH that snail breeding is a good thing!!* :rofl:

Excellent, thanks for the info

*wanders off wondering how to convince OH that snail breeding is a good thing!!* :rofl:

There are advantages to being single. One of them is putting random fish tanks and goldfish bowls around the house! I've got a lovely glass one with a few shrimps in on the coffee table!

I'd just do it; don't mention snail breeding, just set up a little bowl with some plants and call it a water feature. The snails can arrive 'accidentally' on the plants :whistle: This may go some way to explaining why I'm single :p

I'd just do it; don't mention snail breeding, just set up a little bowl with some plants and call it a water feature. The snails can arrive 'accidentally' on the plants :whistle:

I like your thinking - a nice little water feature on the coffee table would look good :D he'll never know!

I started with 3 pea puffers. Two died quite quickly. However the other has been going strong and enjoys frozen blood worm every 3 days. I only put in what I think he will take. He has a nice round belly all the time.
Hope that helps. No snails here.

I don't have a pea puffer but green spotted puffer; diet is similar. I basically forage live food for him everyday be it snails, worms or woodlice; basically mimic anything that would fall into the water in the wild. We keep a small bag of frozen shrimp for days where I can't find anything.

Most reactions

Back