Parrot Fish - What Size Tank Is Needed?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Maxim_Storm

Reaction score
We have a Parrot Fish named Bob he was one of three Cichlids but now he is all alone :-(

We are thinking about either re-homing him, trading him or possibly starting a new tank for him. If we were to go down the route of giving him a new tank what size would it need to be? Does he need to have company or are they better off alone? Also what sort of costs would we be looking at for setting him up a new pad?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Gem x

Hi there
You blood parrot will grow really big. I have two of them. They are great. Since they are fast swimmers you will need to at least have a 55 gallon. For awhile you can get away with a slightly smaller tank, but since you are buying one, then go for the 55 gallon. You will love this crazy fish. Mine eats from our hands, dances around for you. They will also move stuff or remodel their tanks. They will move the small rocks around. They are almost smiling at one in the tank. One of mine will not eat unless I hand feed her. Oh in regards to tank mates, they like to have friends smaller than them. You should fine Bob a mate. You can tell somewhat who is male and female. There is a great site for parrots,www.parrotcichlid.com
We emailed back and forth about your fish. Take care, Lynda :cool:

femmeartist51 said:
Hi there
You blood parrot will grow really big. I have two of them. They are great. Since they are fast swimmers you will need to at least have a 55 gallon. For awhile you can get away with a slightly smaller tank, but since you are buying one, then go for the 55 gallon. You will love this crazy fish. Mine eats from our hands, dances around for you. They will also move stuff or remodel their tanks. They will move the small rocks around. They are almost smiling at one in the tank. One of mine will not eat unless I hand feed her. Well take care, Lynda :cool:
[snapback]876777[/snapback]​

It is my bf's fish but when I moved in with him I kinda took to feeding them and am majorly hooked now :D

Have to be honest I am a little scared of Bob as I am parnoid he will bite me and it will hurt :*) But I love to watch him his a real cutey he loves picking up stones and sand and then spitting them out in a new location. He managed to re-arrange the last tank all by himself apparently!

We would love to buy him a tank but we really need to consider the cost as money is a little tight at the moment :(

Any ideas on how much buying and setting up a 50L tank in the UK would cost?

Thanks, Gem x

[
Have to be honest I am a little scared of Bob as I am parnoid he will bite me and it will hurt :*)
He won't hurt you, they do not have any teeth just that funny beak.
Maybe you can find a tank used on ebay, or I found a few on this site. This fish is very easy to please and really I found easier than other fish to keep. You of course need to have a filter, lights, etc. We found a tank on ebay used. We didn't have much money either. But I told you, they will redecorate the tank. There is a forum here that has tanks and stuff for sale or trade. Look there also. I hope you keep Bob, then find him a friend. I heard convicts are okay with them. I have an angel with my two blood parrots.

Lynda

parrot cichlids do have teeth, and it can hurt when they bite you. when they are small-medium sized it wont be bad, but when they are full grown and their teeth are a few mms long, i wouldnt doubt it they can draw blood. if the parrot is 2-3 inches or smaller, then a 33g would be fine, but when it gets larger a 33g will end up being kinda small. 55g would be your best bet, and you could get it a friend or 2. i find they are happier with other parrots rather then alone. you could also keep them with severums, and other cichlids that arent too aggressive. im not sure how much tanks are where you live, but for about $165 US you can get a 55g kit with hood,lights, filter and heater

:no: sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but...

a 50 liter tank is far, far too small for your parrotfish. if properly cared for, he should reach 21 cm (8 inches) in length! see how 50 liters (13 gallons) would be too small?

a 50 gallon tank contains 200 liters. you will need a tank that size if you really want to provide adequate housing.

ive never heard of an 8 inch parrot before. they do end up big, but i dont know about 8 inches. maybe 6 or 7.theyll be really round, like 5 maybe 6 from top to bottom, so a deep tank is good as well. good luck on your search ! :D

wixx said:
ive never heard of an 8 inch parrot before. they do end up big, but i dont know about 8 inches. maybe 6 or 7.theyll be really round, like 5 maybe 6 from top to bottom, so a deep tank is good as well. good luck on your search ! :D
[snapback]876799[/snapback]​

Mmm the other two cichlids we had with him grew but only to about 5 inches I think and they were about 5 years old at a guess I could be wrong as they were my bf's not mine :/

:dunno: 8 inches is the "Healthy Adult" size cited here at TFF.

but no 5+ inch active fish should be kept in anything under 30 gallons. plain and simple.

(30 gallons = 120 liters)

hm. the biggest ive seen is about 6 maybe 7. but i guess water conditions can be a big factor in growth and size

pica_nuttalli said:
:dunno:  8 inches is the "Healthy Adult" size cited here at TFF.

but no 5+ inch active fish should be kept in anything under 30 gallons.  plain and simple.

(30 gallons = 120 liters)
[snapback]876822[/snapback]​

They weren't in a 50L tank they were in a 180L tank we had three two cichlids which were about 4-5 inches each and the Parrot fish which is probably about three inches if that.

We now we have one Parrot left so guess we are looking at a 50L plus tank for him to move into? :unsure:

its going to have to be AT LEAST 33g. thats about the smallest tank you could keep a parrot cichlid in long term. a 55g would be much better, and your parrot will be much happier

i wouldnt keep a parrot in anything less then a 55, maybe 60

33gallons = a big no no for parrots

DD

i could see one in a 33g. as i said, would be much happier in a 55g, but i dont see why a 33g wouldnt do

My LFS has had some massive parrots in the past, so I have to say I agree with Dwarf_Dude... I would never put one in anything less than 55 gallons.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back