Paralyzed

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

riogal_11

Fish Addict
Reaction score
:/ Well my boy Finley whom I've had for a year now, has been laying on the bottom a lot for about a week. The thing is, is that he looks fine, not skinny, no raised scales, eating fine. There appears to be nothing wrong with him. He used to be VERY active, he's the boy that bites my finger all the time when I feed him peas. When I go to feed him he swims to the top, but he does so by using mostly the front of his body. His caudal fin doesn't move when he swims anymore. He acts like the back of his body is paralyzed. He doesn't act like he has to use extra strength to get to the top for food, but I know he has to be. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of moving him to a new tank, but then again I don't want to stress him out since he seems to be doing well in the current situation despite all of this?? I'm really at a loss on this one. It's like if they have symptoms and get a disease you treat them and it's fairly simple. But I mean what am I supposed to do about this. He is completely fine, everytime I go to the tank he swims to the top, so should I just leave him be?

Sorry about your fish, but theres a type of septiceamia that causes the end of the fish to stop working though it doesnt stop them from feeding. Take a really good loof for any bruising under the skin as with bettas its very hard to see. I dont know if theres a cure but upping the temp a little bit and making sure the water is really clean may help.

Thanks so much for the quick reply. From your information I have decided to move him to a 1 gallon tank, so I can look after him on my desk (he is currently in a divided 10 gallon). I can't really see any bruising, but near his caudal fin it looks as if it might be a little thin. It's weird, kinda like his back end got skinny??

Dont know about the back end getting thinner but just keep him in warm clean water and feed a good quality food and hope for the best.
He hasnt got any fin rot has he? Or lightening of colour in his back end?

Nope, he looks exactly the same. no fin rot or different coloration. I have tried to look up the disease you stated above. I can't find ANYTHING on it??? Are there any that you know of???

I spelt it wrong, its septicemia. All the notes i have are in my book from various sources so i cant give you a website to check out.

Maybe he was tired of flaring at the other betta or maybe he is depressed because he can't flare enough as he wants to?

I would caution about moving to a 1 gallon tank since they are much harder to dose if you decide to use an antibiotic, and tend to be deeper than shallow. I had a betta who had a "fish stroke" and couldn't use one side of his body. What I did was take a decently large critter keeper (3 or 4 gal) and filled it with exactly 2.5 gallons of water. This made a long, shallow habitat, which helped with swimming. It is also 1/4 of 10 gallons, so most meds for 10 gallons+ are easier to use in it than in a 1gal.

So sorry to hear is is unwell, and I do hope you figure something out. :-(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back