Paradise fish help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lefky

Reaction score
I was searching for more fish to stock my tank with when I came across the Paradise Fish. I was wondering if they will get along with Cory Catfish if the tank if planted enough. I am buying live plants very soon to give it a realistic feeling; I already have a small cave they love to go in during the day. They are around an inch and a half and I have had them for around a month. I read that Paradise Fish are aggressive but only to smaller fish and other predatorial fish in the tank. I was hoping Cory Catfish and Paradise fish can get along with live plants and rocks for them to hide in.
Tank: 20gallon freshwater tank, 24in L 12in W 16in H
Water: 80-120 KH; 60-120 GH; 7.5-8 PH (I believe Paradise fish like around 7.5 PH so I will work on lowering); 0 NO2 and NO3; 78-80F; Looking into buying a Fluval Aquasky LED Aquarium Light 18 Watt
If these 2 species can get along in my tank, I was wondering what other species can also get along with them, if any. Thank you

The Paradise Fish, species Macropodus opercularis, is not a good community fish for the average aquarium. Smaller fish will be eaten, fins will be nipped, and any similar-looking fish will be attacked. Cories might or might not be targeted, but given the tank size (20 gallons) I would not attempt this combination. The Paradise should have a longer tank such as a 20g long at 30 inches; this fish normally reaches 3.5 inches though some males do get to 4 inches. It is, being an anabantid, not an active swimmer but still needs room.

While I'm here, a comment on your lowing of the pH...this is not as easy as it sounds. The pH is part of the GH and KH and is unlikely to lower much naturally. Any artificial attempt to lower pH must first reduce the GH and KH. It is best to select fish suited to your water as it makes your life and the lives of the fishes must simpler and successful.

Most reactions

trending

Back