Papa's Pond - Rebirth Journal

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Steve H.

Fishaholic
Reaction score
IMAG0247.jpg

I have decided to keep a journal in this section about my attempt to bring my fathers koi pond back to life, and its former days of glory. Also, I figure if I get stuck some more experienced members can lend some knowledge to help me along the way.

This will be mostly a photo journal from start of the season to finish.

I helped him build it, so I'm not completely in the dark. But, this project is going to require some expertise and elbow grease. 2 seasons ago my Dad was too sick to keep the pond pristine...just enough to keep it going. And, after he passed last April I did the same. Got it up and running just enough to get the waterfall going.
So, I'm looking at about 2 years of leaves that have been sitting in there, and a lot of tlc maintenance for the filter, skimmer, and waterfall. Not to mention my kids and their cousins favorite thing to do was throw every rock they could find into it.

80 degrees in Chicago in mid-March! Unheard of!!

Project starts today! Pictures to follow this evening.

Oh interesting. I can not remember that last time I saw a pond journal on here. What size is it?

Well today was the first day I got to look at my Dad's pond after a long time without care, and through the eyes of someone with a little fish keeping knowledge. Even though my dad kept tropical tanks and such all my life I never paid much attention, and only really started fish keeping 4 months ago...and obsessed with the hobby is an understatement! :)

It's bad...bet not nearly as bad as I thought.

IMAG0217.jpg

If you look close you can see the huddled group of Koi just slightly above center. I was happy to see they made it through the winter in completely foul water...I counted 7! Only 3 missing...

IMAG0218.jpg

The pond is actually 2 ponds joined by a chanel to the skimmer. The original pond was the oval smaller one...you can see Pop's progression from a basic oval to the more natural shape of the bigger pond
IMAG0220.jpg

Oh interesting. I can not remember that last time I saw a pond journal on here. What size is it?
It's probably hard to tell from the pictures because the water level is 6-7" low from it's normal running level.

But, the original pond is about 6'x12' and 28" deep in the center. There is a chanel that is roughly 10' long and is 2.5' at skimmer box and opens to about 4' into the new pond 24" deep.
I am unsure the diameter of the larger section...but be side I was the digger I do know its 36" deep in the center for roughly 6' diameter, and then it steps up 12"x 2' in 2 tiers. So there is kind of a 2' shelf at the 24" depth level for potted Lilly's....if that rambling makes any sense.

Just did the rough calculations...it is 7,450 gallons on the low end estimate.

LOOK OUT!!!!
w00t.gif
There's a Gator!!!!! "Shoot it! It's a tree shaker!" ......... Looking forward to seeing your updates. Thanks for sharing
good.gif

I figured the first on my list should be all the mechanics.

Believe it or not, when I was helping build this I had no idea what it really was. I just thought it cleaned the water so it would be clear.
But now I realize it's a pretty clever DIY biological filter. It has 2 chambers. Water is pumped from the skimmer box to the inlet stack which is notched at the bottom. The water flows from the bottom first through layer of large lava rock and sponge's. There is clear plastic with drilled holes separating the chambers. The water flows up through that, and then through another layer of small lava rock before it flows out the outlet pipe and down the waterfall
IMAG0221.jpg

IMAG0224.jpg

As you can see 2 years of neglect took its toll. The plexy-glass was cracked up like a jig saw puzzle from freezing and thawing....then freezing again. I forgot he drained it in the winters. Not to mention 2-3" of this...
IMAG0222.jpg

Some of the foulest smelling muck I've ever encountered. Good thing I had my trustee helper. ;)

After cleaning it up I was able to salvage it all and piece it back together. And made some adjustments that I hope are improvements. I added all the top layer gravel to the bottom along with 50 bio-balls, and added a new 6" layer of small lava rock on top. I also temporarily added a stocking to the inlet pipe to catch any extra large particles I'm sure to get during cleaning
IMAG0228.jpg

The skimmer box was much easier....just needed to be pumped out and thoroughly cleaned. The filter floss was still in great shape and the catch net didn't get damaged from freezing.
So, at the end of day 1 I was able to get the pond started and running!
Off to a good start
IMAG0226.jpg

Looks very good :good:

It's looking good, & a lovely thing to do in your dad's memory

LOOK OUT!!!!
w00t.gif
There's a Gator!!!!! "Shoot it! It's a tree shaker!" ......... Looking forward to seeing your updates. Thanks for sharing
good.gif

You a swamp people fan too discus?

It's looking good, & a lovely thing to do in your dad's memory
Thanks so much!
I think that's one reason why I have gotten so into this hobby because when I'm tinkering in my tanks or the pond I'm thinking of him.

I have big ideas for this pond....I hope I can pull it off. :)

Lilly's are coming already! They must be confused by this weather too...
IMAG0230.jpg

Nothing too exciting today. Spent most of the day vacuuming the small section of the pond. Was excited to see my dad sprung for a pretty nice pond vacuum. Never knew him to spluge on anything.
It is slow going because there is just so much decaying leaves and such, but this vac is getting it all!
All the new leaves plus all the sludge below it.
Which....sadly enough....is pretty exciting to me.

I did work on a design flaw, and am trying an idea I had.
When we built the new section if the pond my Dad did not realize how dominant the flow from the waterfall to the skimmer box would be. What happens is the current is so much stronger that there is hardly any flow out of this section of pond into the skimmer box. If it weren't for a pool drain installed it would probably be stagnant.
IMAG0229.jpg

I found a 1/4 HP submersable pump in the garage. And stuck that in the skimmer box behind the filter floss. Then ran the hose to the end of the pond, and made a makeshift spraybar out of the leftover pieces of hose in hopes to get some flow going in this part of the pond.
IMAG0231.jpg

It's probably like ant vs a truck, but at least I know I have some flow in there. It works pretty well. I have control valves on both ends of the spraybar so I can open those for flow around the edges, or close them for full on spraybar down the middle.
The flexibility of the hose was useful for tucking this behind and under the rocks so that it is not noticeable, and when the ground cover grows in it will be pretty well hidden.

The fish were really active today. Zipping in and out of the small pond while I worked.
I was curious as to how they could be thriving in water conditions with so much decay, and brought some water home tonight to test it. I have to say I was pretty shocked:
NH3/4-0 ppm
NO2 - 0 ppm
NO3 - 40-80 ppm
pH - 7.8

Was not expecting 0 ammonia with so much decay.

I'm always amazed how mine survive the winters especially the one we had with -15 degree temps for days on end.
You're giving them a new lease on life, bet they start spawning for you when you get it all cleared again

Out at it...never ending vacuuming! This part of it just might take me all summer.

No fish today. It was a little cool, and they were all probably at the bottom. Or, at least I hope that's where they are. Because there is a predator I need to worry about. A pesky Blue Heron has made this pond his own private sushi bar for the past 4 or 5 years....but I don't think he's back in town yet.

My Dad does have a sprinkler with a motion detector...the only problem with that is that in the windy city it ends up going off all night long.

Waterfall and filter really working great and getting the job done. Water was crystal clear before I started working. Not even tannins from the remaining leaves.
IMAG0246.jpg

http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh523/stever42/VIDEO0020.mp4

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back