Pakistani Loaches And Neon Tetras

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dredgy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

Recently I acquired 2x Pakistani Loaches to help with snails (would've got one or two more if any were in stock), and while I checked they'd fit size-wise into my tank, I didn't check compatibility. I just ran my new stocking through a stock calculator and it said Yoyo Loaches will eat Neon Tetras.

So far they most certainly have not, and co-exist with the tetras quite comfortably. The juvenile loach is about the size of a tetra (2.5cm) and spends most of its time schooling with the kuhlis or just meandering around the tank and annoying the bigger loach and my Bristlenose.

The older one on the other hand is quite sizeable (7-10cm) but probably a bit too small to eat tetras though he may grow fast. He doesn't bother the tetras at all at the moment, paying no attention to them whatsoever. He has paired with my bristlenose though - the two are completely inseparable.

So should I take the loaches or the tetras out of the tank? The tetras are definitely the only constant activity in my tank at the moment since everyone else is a bottom dweller. The loaches do ensure an impressive pile of empty snail shells though.

photoyrg.jpg

I wouldn't think a yoyo loach would be capable of eating a neon tetra, but don't quote me on it.

I wouldn't think so judging by the size of mine. Though it sometimes gets this look in its eye which makes me wonder what its capable of.

I think the Loach may chase them a little bit, but it shouldn't eat them, if you get a couple more loaches then it'll calm them down a bit and they should be less aggressive. Same as TallTree though, don't quote me on that :p

I have kept yoyos with cardinal tetra for about a year now with no sudden and unexplained disappearances! Any loaches are feisty creatures but I don't see that being a problem. Maybe if you were to have fully grown loach and baby neons, but if they grow up together it is less likely

I have kept neon tetras, black neon tetras and ember tetras with Pakistani loaches. All has been well for nearly a year. Over the last week I have lost nearly all the neons and more than half the black tetras.
Only explanation, the loaches have eaten them.
Oddly, the embers are by far the smallest and they seem OK. Perhaps they are faster.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back