Padding Rocks On The Aquarium Floor

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LyraGuppi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I know light diffusers and Styrofoam can be used to pad rocks in an aquarium, but can foam? I have a few pieces of foam that I'm not using.. two are 2 inches thick, and flat, and one is also 2 inches thick with egg crate divots.

IMG_0839_zpsfgpfnhod.jpg

IMG_0838_zpsiqjx9scv.jpg

I would just be afraid of it holding all kinds of crap. I wouldn't trust it because it could cause a huge ammonia issue.

I completely forgot about detritus making it's way into the foam :X Thanks!

I wouldn't use either, as many of these modern foams are impregnated with flame retardants, which are usually highly toxic to fish.

I've tended to put stones straight onto the tank bottom. I then use the substrate to keep em still. Overall, I don't like having stones in a position where they can move, otherwise fish dig them up and move them around, which makes them dangerous however well your padding looks. If you're concerned then you can take a leaf from the reefkeepers book and use eggcrate to lift stones and spread the weight.

I got a load of plastic canvas to use under the rocks, instead of that horrific foam. I can't imagine what horrors I would have went through if I'd used that!

The rocks aren't extremely heavy, but I'd like to just be safe and pad them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back