Pacu Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JT-SCFC-1912

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a Pacu fish for my new tank, there's one at my lfs I think it's adult size as it's huge lol, but he is really cool.

Anybody know or have had experience with the Pacu fish

Carn't find much info about them online. I know they are in the same family as a pirinha but that's it :/

they are basically a friendly vegetarian version of a piranha....

they get HUGE!!....so you should have at least a 100-125+ gallon tank

125 gallon would still not be anywhere near big enough, these things get beastly huge!! Personally... I think they are one of those fish that should be banned from the aquatic trade to stop people being tempted into making such a daft purchase. At very least they belong in a big show aquarium.

Don't even consider a pacu.. unless you have an indoor heated pond, your tank will not be able to cope and all it can end in is suffering for the fish.

I agree with MBOU; pacus can get to two/three feet long!

Realistically, that means a tank that is at least 12'x6'
crazy.gif

Thanks for the advice, my LFS said he wouldn't grow anymore as he has grown to adult size, but judging n some of the responses here I'm guessing that's not right at all :/

I kept a baby Pacu with smaller red belly piranhas (Also babies) for a few weeks while my friend was re doing his mega tank haha but Pacus grow VERY quickly, by the time it went it was double the size of the piranha, I had trouble identifying it from the piranhas because there so alike when there babies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back