Overstocking?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Anthony1993

Reaction score
I was just watching a video on YouTube and saw he had a Blood parrot, firemouth and a blue acara with some sort of tetra in a 40g? Surely that’s overstocking?

Just because someone does something it does not mean they should do it. Anyone can post a video on YouTube but it does not mean their fish are kept in a appropriate sized tank with appropriate tank mates.

This is why we always say to check things with a reputable website like Seriously Fish and not believe everything you see/read on-line.

:-( Oh that's terrible.

I have a little tiny 6 gallon fluval edge so I often look around instagram to see what others keep in theirs and more often than not I'm horrified!
One person had three of those fancy black googly eyed goldfish (sorry, not sure correct name).
And more recently saw someone with three Angel fish stuffed in one!

Definitely do NOT go by what you see on social media!

I was horrified! It wasn’t even a grow out tank they were fully grown!

Unfortunately the hobby is full of a lot of ignorance. Understanding the nitrogen cycle, big fish in a small tank, too many fish in any size tank, insufficient water change frequency and/or volume, poor tank/filter maintenance, poor filtration, too little or too much water flow/circulation, bad water chemistry for given species, poor quality food, under/over feeding, unnecessary and/or over medication, improper use of dechlor, bad temperature control ......
And fish just don't get the respect they deserve...for some people, "it's just a fish" so too many fish suffer tragic neglect.
There is no SPCA for fish.
Some people shouldn't have pets!
On average, well cared for tropical fish in an aquarium should live 10-15 years.
I hope yours do.

:-( Oh that's terrible.

I have a little tiny 6 gallon fluval edge so I often look around instagram to see what others keep in theirs and more often than not I'm horrified!
One person had three of those fancy black googly eyed goldfish (sorry, not sure correct name).
And more recently saw someone with three Angel fish stuffed in one!

Definitely do NOT go by what you see on social media!
I think your referring to telescope Goldfish

Last time i saw mutliple Tiger and Albino Oscars in what seemed to be a 30gallon tank and not only dont peope understand most of thr filters given in those starter kits are pretty useless .My One Oscar is in a 55 gallon tank with a fluval FX4 canister Filter rated for tanks up to 250 Gals.That means I have a 4.5 turn over rate topped it off with a Heater and a 24 Watt UV sterilizer so he is living the life rn.All I feed him is New life spectrum pellets as well as Hikari and frozren food.People dont realize that as soon as they made that purchase it becomes their responsibility to take care of the animal they brought .

Just because someone does something it does not mean they should do it.

I agree.

Mind you I would try this in my 6 foot 100 gallon.

The only way that overstocking is allowed is in African Cichlids where agression is a problem but to make sure that the water quality is great good filteration will be needed in that case .

Unfortunately the hobby is full of a lot of ignorance.
Manufacturers and retailers have to take the majority of the blame there I think. They want to sell stuff and don't want to put people off by showing them what hard work it is

Overstocking is a tricky, arbitrary term. We might say that very large fish in a small tank is overstocking....or too many fish in any size tank is overstocking. However, in the latter, it really comes down to water quality. With high quality fish food (less fish waste), good filtration, plants, and good (water change & filter) maintenance, many more fish can live very well in any given size tank.

Most reactions

Back