Overstocked?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Nicholast35

Reaction score
I am starting a 35 gallon South American tank and want to know if with the following fish if it would be overstocked.
- 3 German Blue Rams
- 6-8 Rummy Nose Tetras
- 6-8 Silvertip Tetras
- 2 dwarf plecos (most likely galaxia or zebra)
- 3 Corydoras
- 2-3 Angelfish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you mean leporacanthicus galaxias (galaxia pleco) it is too big for the tank. They grow up to 10" and need at least a 4' tank.
The zebra plec needs water in the range 26-30C. GBRs will do well at this temperature but corydoras won't.
Silvertips can be nippy so are probably not recommended with angel fish but the tank is really too small for angel fish.
Corydoras should really be in a bigger group (minimum 4 but 5-6 is better)

As long as your water parameters are right (softish and slightly acidic) I would leave out the rams and angel fish, replace the plecos with a single bristlenose (or 6 otos) and get more corys. If you want a centrepiece you could look at apistos.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/ is a good site for researching species and their requirements.

Could you post the dimensions of your tank, please, OP? The pH and hardness of your water would also help us to come up some stocking ideas for you to consider :)

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Rams are better off in prs rather than groups so get 2 instead of 3. Alternatively Apistogramma cacatuoides are nice fish and there are numerous other small cichlids like Pelvicachromis subocellatus that are peaceful but they are African so might not fit with your South American theme.

Tetras do best in groups of 10 or more so increase their numbers a bit.

Keep common Bristlenose catfish or Peckoltias, or Otocinculs (as mentioned above).

Corydoras also need to be kept in groups of 10 or more. However, it depends on actual tank dimensions (length x width) as to how many you can keep in the tank. If you do get a bigger group you can mix species and have 5 of one species and 5 of another.

Again tank dimensions will determine if you should keep angelfish. If you have sufficient room then get a group of 6-10 small angelfish and grow them up together. When they mature and pair off, keep one pr and rehome the others.

-------------------------
If the aquarium is new and does not have an established filter, then either cycle the filters first, of add the silvertip tetras and let them cycle the filters, then add the other fishes after the filters have established :)

I am starting a 35 gallon South American tank and want to know if with the following fish if it would be overstocked.
- 3 German Blue Rams
- 6-8 Rummy Nose Tetras
- 6-8 Silvertip Tetras
- 2 dwarf plecos (most likely galaxia or zebra)
- 3 Corydoras
- 2-3 Angelfish

i would consider you max stocked with the angelfish and corys alone

3 German Blue Rams
Unless sexable adults are available it is best to begin with a group of young fish and allow pairs to form naturally, separating them as they do so,

Ditching the idea of Rams, Corydoras, and Angels but thinking of a bigger fish that would be abstract from the smaller Tetras and would make them school better but what would work looking South American. Discus?

Discus are more problematic than angelfish and require a bigger tank. It's best to avoid them unless you have had some previous fish keeping experience and have a bigger tank :)

Tetras also age really quickly in warm water so they are better off in a cooler tank than discus. Discus tanks are normally set at 28C and tetras do better at 20-24C.

You could look at the small Geophagus species, or Keyhole cichlids (Cleithracara maronii).

Rams, Cories and tetras would be ok. If you want something for the top half of the tank then perhaps hatchetfish or pencilfish. If you get hatchetfish make sure you have good covers because they jump. Killifish will also work and they jump too.

Would an electric blue acara or two work

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back