Overfed Betta

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jessie J.

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone. My betta, Persia, has a really big belly because he ate too much. I feed him regular portions (cut down when I noticed his huge belly), about four pellets a day, but he has been snacking on efts and guppy fry and all kinds of stuff. I am moving him to a 4-gallon bowl with a sponge filter that doesn't have much organic matter for him to eat. What else should I do?

Try not feeding him for a couple of days and see how is. It won't hurt him. I go a day or two without feeding mine. It helps with digestion.

He may get constipated so after fasting you can give him a de-shelled blanched pea, just a little piece about the size of his eye or smaller.
The next day you should try to cut back the pellet amount. I give my betta about 2 pellets daily.

so after fasting you can give him a de-shelled blanched pea
Pea? what for? Damphia has known mild laxative effect I have no idea what peas do.

A lot of people, such as myself, use peas because we have them readily available in our freezer. They both do the same thing. It’s simply a preference.

Last edited:
Persia seems to be doing much better. His tummy has evened out and he's swimming normal. When should I feed him again?

Have you been fasting since Friday? If you see improvement you, I would start with a deshelled, blanched pea. If doing well tomorrow, try a pellet.

Yes, he hasn't eaten MUCH since Friday; I put my hand in his tank to pet him and accidentally knocked some stale pellets (about three) from the top. Tomorrow I'll try feeding him a pea; he loves to eat an will do anything to get his food :)

So I shelled/warmed a pea and crushed it up so he could eat it easier, but he didn't seem to notice that it was edible. :/

accidentally knocked some stale pellets (about three) from the top.
Why were there uneaten pellets in the tank? Uneaten pellets should be removed as they will foul the water.

So I shelled/warmed a pea and crushed it up so he could eat it easier, but he didn't seem to notice that it was edible
Why wouldn't he ignore pea? Its not like there is any benefit in eating it.

So I shelled/warmed a pea and crushed it up so he could eat it easier, but he didn't seem to notice that it was edible. :/

Try frozen daphnia. It works the same way a pea does for their digestive system and he may find it more appealing.

If he's doing well due to fasting him don't worry about feeding him a piece of pea. Just feed him smaller amounts and try to vary his diet. Three tiny pellets a day is more than enough but space it out. Oh yes they love their food but don't give in to their begging.

For my Bettas I also supplement that with fresh frozen bloodworms 2-3 times a week. Once in awhile they get a tweezer sized portion of flakes for a treat. Same with freeze dried bloodworms. Maybe a couple every once in awhile. I don't feed them on Sundays.

Just don't overfeed him and he'll be fine. :)

Freeze dried food is rubbish and thats where it belongs.

Mix the frozen food up a bit Try Ocean Nutrition Quintet.
https://oceanreefsmarine.com.au/products/ocean-nutrition-frozen-tropical-quintet-100g
TROPICAL_QUINTET_4f641d7979186_600x600.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back