Over pregnant guppys??

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

tropicalsteve1

Reaction score
I have two over prgnant guppys the main one hasd been clearly pregnant for over 12 weeks!!!! Is this posible?? I have checked all the tank perams and they are all stable she isnt being harased by the male. But she seems to like swimming on her own recently at the serfece to one end of the tank. I can see little light brown paches in her gravid spot. ( presumably the fry?) hew looks like she is going to burst Sorry for all this but im new to this breeding game. :*) Im just a bit worried as i thought they were suposed to normaly have there fry every 3, 4, weeks or so? Can anyone shed a little light on the subject????
fishy regards, steve. :D

They can hold onto the fry if they feel the conditions aren't right...so what exactly are the water params? And what other fish do you have? Has she been secluding herself at all? Any info you can give about the tank would be great. :)

If you can see light brown patches, chances are they are the fry, which means she should be getting close. :nod:

The perams are amonia 0, nitrate and ph are normal acording to the tests. but yes she has been excluding herself. For the last week or so she has been hanging around on her own at the top far side of the tank for alot of the time. Or just keeping out of the way of the other fish. It is a 4 foot long tank 2 foot high with plants rocks and bog wood. other fish include Dalmation mollys balloon mollys swordtails platies a pair of pigmie puffers a pair of dwarf goramie and a small angle fish. Two apple snails and a small red leged crab. All the other fish are doing well and all inhabitants seem to be cohabiting fine. :D i just wish she would have her fry as i have never had guppie babys befor and im getting exited. :*)
Fishy regards, Steve. :D

It seems like a lot of fish in there could be aggressive to her, which may be stressing her out...anyway you could seperate her? Because she sounds pretty close, and you don't want her aborting, or having birthing troubles.

Also, if she has fry in that tank, I doubt many will survive. You've got lots of fry eaters in here. Best thing to do, if you want to save the fry, would be seperation into a small tank, like a 5 gallon or so. :)

i agree if you want to keep the fry you gona have to seperate, i remember my dads molllies having babies when i was little & he kept them seperate when he released them the angel fish ate them lol. needless to say the angel fish went. my guppies also had fry a couple of weeks ago while i was away i only saw 1 then i lost that as well & there is only guppies in that tank

my 6 female guppys have been givig birth for about a mounth non stop I wouldn't worry in good situations they can have lots of fry.

I always know when my females are ready to give birth as they go off among the quieter far ends of the tanks, usually hiding out among the floating plants(live and plastic) there and stay relatively still, not interested in eating. If you have java moss, a nice pyramid of marbles or river rocks, or even a plastic plant mat ($1 at dollarama), the fry will have lots of places to hide in and quite a few won't get eaten. Most of them seem to streak for the bottom of the tank the minute they arrive and survive but there's always a few clueless ones that head to the top and straight into open water and the lunch menu! :X :D

I've got a steady supply of fry hiding out under the java moss right now and among the pebbles. They are sooo cute. Some are half black from birth, others pale, others short, others so danged long...good luck on your birthing! :cool:

The corydoras like to go under the moss but the pebbles mean the fry can duck easily into nooks and crannies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back