Oto Help..struggling With Them

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bboorreedd11

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
there are green spots algae on my tank. and being the newb i am, i thought that some algae eaters like oto can solve the problem...so i proceeded to buy 4 otos from my LFS...untill i found out that otos do not eat green spot algae...so i thought i would try out peas, cucumbers, zuchinis and lettuce..but they all dun work...i tried feeding them raw ones and also blanched ones..but they do not touch it...i also left it in there for 2 days...so for the past 3 days they have been in my tank i do not think they have eaten anything...even algae wafers do not help...is there any way i can get them to eat? or can i grow algaes that they do eat for them? pls help thanks

Put some smooth rocks in buckets of tank water out in full sunlight (or if you happen to have a spare aquarium hood, set it accross the top and run it 24/7) and you should get algae in due time. Dropping in a root tab for plants or some liquid fertilizers can speed the process.

In the mean time, try anchoring a couple pieces of zucchini (of everything I tried with mien, I had the best luck with this) in different parts of the tank. IME, if other fish are picking at the food, otos are less likely to go for it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back