Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Oto food?

Discussion in 'Plecos Otos and other Loricariids' started by Ka_fitz, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Ka_fitz

Ka_fitz New Member

I have 3 otos that I was advised to feed algae wafers, however, they have no interest in these at all. They love cucumber but i dont leave it in the tank longer than overnight. I am due to go away for a week. I'm planning on feeding the other fish with an automatic feeder but how can I cater for the otos? Any bright ideas?

2. mikey11

mikey11 Fish Crazy

Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital
    i wouldn't worry about them.....they will find enough food scraps on the bottom of the tank to last a week,

don't clean your tank "too good" before you go away, and by that i mean do a water change before you leave but don't scrape the tank clean so there is some algae around for them to nibble on....

3. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

I wouldn't even use the automatic feeding. If the fish are healthy and well fed for several weeks before you go, they will be fine without food for a week. The only exception being baby fish.
    Just do a water change and gravel clean, and leave algae on sides (as suggested by mikey), then go enjoy your holiday.