Oto Flipping And Lying On Side/back

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

BryceHockey

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
It may be too late to do anything helpful, but if anyone knows of what I could do to rescue this oto please let me know.

1. Water parameters. (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, PH, temp', Hardness etc)
Just tested, water is as it always is, unfortunately I have read that test strips are not accurate but based on them the water is:
Very little to no ammonia. No Nitrate, Nitrite, or Chlorine. The water is hard, but not too hard (about 125 ppm). pH is 7.0.
2. A full description of the fishes symptoms.
This morning the oto was on the tank side with his tail curled much more than usual, but he was acting fine so I assumed he might be fine. I watched all day and he seemed somewhat normal but lethargic, and just a few moments ago he flipped around for a minute. Then he rested on his side, on the gravel. He then moved and was on his back, and I looked for external injuries but do not see any. He is breathing very heavily. At the moment he is on his side, almost struggling it seems. One time he swam to the mid-level for no reason, then floated down and landed on the bottom. He seems in critical condition and I don't see much else that can be done. The other oto is acting perfect and swimming around happily.
3. How often you do water changes and how much.
Once a week, usually 25-30%.
4. Any chemicals and treatments you add to the water.
Only add AquaSafe (conditioner) once a week to new tank water, and a few drops of Flourish for the plants, also once a week.
5. What tank mates are in the tank.
See signature.
6. Tank size.
10 Gallons.
7. Finally Have you recently added any new fish?
No.

I have had both otos for 10 months and they have been very healthy up to this point. I am very sad but if someone has had oto deaths before, and this is just how they die, please let me know that too. If there is something I could try, I will do it as quickly as possible. Friday is when I do water changes, so I was getting ready to do that when this was noticed. I think I will try and change the water now but I doubt it will help him.

Bryce

Sounds bacterial to me.
Does he look bloated.
What do you feed your fish.
Signs of bacterial infections are.
Being listless and lethagic.
Being pale or darker in colour.
laying to onside.
Heavy breathing.
Trying to get off the substrate but falling back down.
Once fish lay on there backs they tend not to make it.

[URL="http://www.petsforum.com/cis-fishnet/afm/G29060.htm"]http://www.petsforum.com/cis-fishnet/afm/G29060.htm[/URL]

Taken from the link.

The third type of infection produced by Aeromonas is by no means the least. This form is often the most virulent (potent) and can be rapidly fatal. This insidious form does not produce any noticeable external ulcers. The most notable feature is a behavioral change in which the infected fish generally become listless and lethargic. Some fish may lose color or appear darker. The fish do not feed, frequently seem off balance and may sink to the bottom laying on their sides. The course of the disease is rapid, and by the time the behavioral changes are noticed, the entire population of a tank may succumb, sometimes in a day or so. This is an internal infection, with the bacteria being found in the kidneys and blood of these fish. The bacteria produce potent toxins that account for the severity of the disease.

Thanks for responding, your listed symptoms describe it very well. He is on his back and I don't think he will live much longer by the looks of things. To answer your questions, no he doesn't look bloated, rather more shriveled. Both otos normally always have very full stomachs but today his is not. I don't feed them specifically anything but the tank has plenty of algae and always has, they've been very happy and active for the 10 months owned.

The article said that "The course of the disease is rapid, and by the time the behavioral changes are noticed, the entire population of a tank may succumb, sometimes in a day or so." I think the best thing I could do would be to euthanize him, however when I read the links to threads about that in the forum, there are very different opinions. One mod highly suggested having a small jar with tank water put in the freezer until the water is very very cold, and dropping in the fish. Should I do this? The last thing I want is for more fish to die by leaving him in there, although he is still breathing.

Plecs need more than just algae wafers they need a good balanced diet of some frozen foods and veg.

Jug of very cold water and add ice cubes till the water freezing cold, add the fish it should take about 30 seconds for him to pass on.
Leave him in the jug awhile to make sure he's passed on, check the gills to make sure there not moving.
Sorry bless him but he sounds to far gone to save.

Plenty of water changes on your main tank in the next few days.

Plecs need more than just algae wafers they need a good balanced diet of some frozen foods and veg.

Jug of very cold water and add ice cubes till the water freezing cold, add the fish it should take about 30 seconds for him to pass on.
Leave him in the jug awhile to make sure he's passed on, check the gills to make sure there not moving.
Sorry bless him but he sounds to far gone to save.

Plenty of water changes on your main tank in the next few days.

This is an oto, not a plec, but now I'm realizing that it is true I should probably supply some blanched zuchinni (only reason I haven't before is because we don't usually have it on hand). Tried a cucumber once but neither touched it.

I prepared the water and had it frozen but when I went to put him in, he'd already passed on. Rest in peace. :byebye:

Is a water change every other day of 20% too much? I don't want to hurt the fish but also need to keep it free of disease.

Thanks much for replying Wilder, nice to know that there are people ready to give advice if ever there is a problem. Sometime after I'm sure the tank is safe I will try to add another oto friend for the one that is left.

Bryce

Sometimes fish won't always eat it the first time when you introduce new food.
Just keep trying if they don't eat it just remove it from the tank.

Yes 20% water changes are fine.
Bless him R.I.P.
Good luck.

Most reactions

Back