Oto cats had babies, will they be eaten? How do I care for them?

pamelllla

Reaction score
First time poster though I've certainly been using this forum often since joining this hobby. I have a heavily planted 12 gallon Fluval Edge (set up in December 2017) with 4 Harlequin Rasbora (all that remain after loosing many and finally getting rid of the parasite causing it), 1 boraras brigittae (used to be called chili rasbora, and I call her Chili, she's all that remains of the 9 I bought when I first started but it wasn't cycled properly. She has survived everything (including my determination to get rid of snails) and now schools with the Harlequins) and 3 oto cats. 1 oto cat I've had for 2.5 months and the other 2 for 4 weeks. Well, one recent one got really fat so I researched it and thought she was going to die of parasites. She also disappeared and I only saw her one morning briefly a few days ago. She had been chased around by the little one (second part of the 4 week pair) quite a bit.

(BTW I know snails are useful but I really dislike them so please don't tell me how great they are. I should like what is in my aquarium. I worked very hard to get rid of them with an empty aquarium except for chili, who is one tough fish).

Yesterday I saw what I thought was a worm on the side of my tank and I thought no! I don't have those. I keep it clean and don't overfeed. I looked closer and it was a tiny baby oto. Later I saw another and throughout the day up to 4 at once. So far today I have only seen 2 (I work at home right next to my aquarium so I can really keep an eye on it).

Questions:

Will they survive just eating algae? They suck on the glass and rocks like the adult otos.
Will the Harlequins eat them?
How do I clean the tank/vacuum the water without sucking them up? They are the size of fleas!
Anything else I can do to help ensure their survival?

I know I am extremely lucky to be experiencing this. I really want them to survive. I haven't seen mom fish for days now and only see dad briefly once or twice a day. The other oto (2.5 months and biggest), is out and about most of the time as usual.

I've tried to attach some photos, including Chili because she is so cute.
IMG_4908.jpg
IMG_4912.jpg
IMG_4923.jpg
IMG_4928.jpg
IMG_4930.jpg
IMG_4931.jpg

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Will they survive just eating algae? They suck on the glass and rocks like the adult otos.

Yes if they get enough, but that is unlikely as the parents are thorough. I would add some dried leaves; you can buy almond leaves in some fish stores, but you can also collect leaves from a safe (no chemicals, pesticides, industry, etc) place. I collect oak leaves that fall in my back garden. Makes sure they are totally dead, dry leaves that are on the ground. Rinse them off; don't use any that look like they may have something on them like bird droppings. Once in the tank they will float until waterlogged and then sink. Otos love grazing these; the infusoria the dead leaves produce will feed all fry and they will grow faster with leaves in the tank. I've raised dozens of Farlowella on dried leaves. You can also get some algae/kelp/veggie based sinking disks. I use Omega One Veggie Rounds; all substrate fish will love eating from these, but they are high in algae/kelp and suited to veggie eating plecos. Just one in the tank with the fry, they will eventually find it and chow down.

Will the Harlequins eat them?

Maybe, likely yes, but unlike some fish they might not make it their mission to find and eat all of them. But they will likely eat one they come across. This can be aided by having lots of plants like Java Moss, and chunks of wood. Or removing the fry you find to another small tank with the same water (siphon it out of the main tank from the top to fill the fry nursery), add the leaves (lots of them) and some wood if you have any and you can spare a piece from the other tank.

How do I clean the tank/vacuum the water without sucking them up? They are the size of fleas!

Use a manual water changer or the hose part for water changes, draining into a bucket (as opposed to a Python connected to the tap/sink) and sit in front of the tank so you can see clearly. If you happen to get one of them it is easy to fish them out of the bucket. I usually avoid any substrate vacuum during the water change if fry like these are present. Just change the water, half the tank volume.

Thanks Byron! I do rotate peas, zucchini and red pepper for the otos to supplement the algae. They seem to like the peas the best but I end up finding them all over the tank (they start in a dish). Doubt the babies will go for the veggies though. I think I'll add an algae wafer for the little ones (I have some) and see if I can find some leaves. May be hard this time of year but my local pet store may sell almond leaves. Thanks again!

Those are some adorable baby otos! Otos are adorable to begin with, but those babies are just so darn cute. Congratulations, and good luck with the fry!

Thanks Fish Crazy! I really hope a few make it to adulthood.

I spotted a new baby today. It's super tiny compared to last week's baby, in the same photo. Ah, they grow up so fast.

Hard to know how many there are in total. I spotted 3 at once a few days ago.

I have added some oak leaves - the big otos like them as well.

IMG_4961.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back