Oscar With Stunted Growth?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jackiee

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have an Oscar which I rescued from a guy off Craigslist who had him in a 50 gallon tank with a bunch of other fish.. About 10-15.

He was sick, near death when I took him. I brought him home and put him in my 100 gal and nursed him back to health. Honestly didn't think he was going to make it, but he did.

Anywho.. He is probably about 3 years old now and he's only 6 inches long.. And gets bullied sometimes by a 5 inch red devil that I have in the tank. I feel if he were to become his full size, he wouldn't be bullied either..

Is it too late for him to grow? If I put him in an extra tall 20 gallon tank to separate him from the red devil and do daily water changes, could he grow again? Or is this a bad idea?

I had a baby tiger Oscar in a 20 high and he did alright. Mine never seemed to grow gradually, they just doubled in size over night. You can move him if you want and feed him plenty of pellets and bloodworms

Keeping the water pristine is necessary but i would only keep him in the 20 gallon if absolutely necessary.

6 inches after 3 years is definitely small. I wouldn't keep him in the 20, maybe use a divider in the 100. Ensure he gets lots of water changes and a high quality diet you might still get him to grow a few more inches

Yea if I'm not mistaken thy usually grow like an 1" a month or more, until adulthood. A divider would be better just separate the fish bullying it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back