Oscar Swimming Vertically

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CaliReefer

Reaction score
An oscar that I just introduced yesterday to a community tank has been swimming Vertically and was wondering if this is normal behavior, the other two Oscars that I introduced aren't doing this, the one of concern is an albino, and the other two are tigers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Is this vertical swimming constant? Like the fish is trying to swim upwards but can't, like it is struggling with buoyancy?

Or does it seem more "intentional"?

Here is a picture, it is just constantly just swimming with it's head pointed to the top of the tank, it seems like it's fine it's just swimming the wrong way
d5924abfd052c3bccc1e79f7d0554973.jpg

And not swimming against a current? What happens if you disturb him? Like approaching him with your hand or a net? Does he swim away normally, or is stuck in the upright position?

I've tried to leave him alone as much as possible just in case it is just stress, but I tried a couple of times and he pretty much stays upright, he doesn't really move that much either if I disturb him, he just kinda swims pit of the way, I am wondering if this is somehow related to the one bully fish in the tank, a 6" Jack dempsy, this is just a holding tank for the Oscars though so hopefully he will do better when I move him to his own tank

This is a little concerning, but if the fish does not appear to be in distress, I would give it some time to see if it corrects itself.

If there is an issue with a bully in the tank, this is best resolved now rather than later. Even if he didn't cause this specific problem, he might add unwanted stress that might slow (or stop) recovery. If you don't have a spare tank, see if you can get some egg crate (also called lighting diffuser) or chicken mesh to divide the tank up.

Please share any updates regarding recovery or more symptoms should they pop up.

I have some egg crate that I could use for now. Should I also do a water change to increase the water quality?

Here is a better picture if that helps
1eb4a08b9a4cc7c41dc66bc9a43a03fa.jpg
ece63b7547104cd989963f57945f4a94.jpg

Update: fish is doing better, it is swimming more normally, and I think the vertical swimming was due to stress

An oscar that I just introduced yesterday to a community tank has been swimming Vertically and was wondering if this is normal behavior, the other two Oscars that I introduced aren't doing this, the one of concern is an albino, and the other two are tigers.

im sorry little kids i will try and help your fishy as soon as possible

Is this vertical swimming constant? Like the fish is trying to swim upwards but can't, like it is struggling with buoyancy?

Or does it seem more "intentional"?
you can try grabbing him by the throat and feeding him carp bait because i did that for my little oscy wascy and it worked tremendously, sadly i flushed him down the toilet recently because he ate my lasagne

you can try grabbing him by the throat and feeding him carp bait because i did that for my little oscy wascy and it worked tremendously, sadly i flushed him down the toilet recently because he ate my lasagne
I hoe you are joking about grabbing the fish by the throat and flushing it.

This is an old thread from 2019 and the OP is unlikely to respond.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back