Oscar clarification questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

When I was given my oscar, he went into a standard, UK 55 gallon (48"x18"x18"), as it was all I had at the time, and he was only three or four inches long.

That was the usual recommended tank size for an oscar a few years ago, but as mine grew, it was obvious to me that it wasn't big enough. They're not the furthest or fastest swimming fish, it's true (manoeuvrability is their great strength!), but they still need space to swim up and down and turn comfortably.

I ended up buying a 5'x2'x2' (I'd also acquired a rescue gibbi by this time), which was not a bad size, and I would never recommend anything smaller.

They are intelligent fish; do NOT keep them in bare tanks! It might be annoying to you to have all the substrate piled up in one corner, all your plants ripped apart and all the bogwood tipped over, but that tank is your fish's home, not yours, and they need to be able to rearrange the 'furniture' if they want to :)

I used foam cat balls for my oscar, as he could grab hold of them and swim around with them in his mouth, which he couldn't do with a ping pong ball, and rings made out of airline. I was trying to teach him to retrieve, but we weren't very good at it; I would throw the ball in and he would grab it, but I couldn't get him to bring it back to me :)

When I was given my oscar, he went into a standard, UK 55 gallon (48"x18"x18"), as it was all I had at the time, and he was only three or four inches long.

That was the usual recommended tank size for an oscar a few years ago, but as mine grew, it was obvious to me that it wasn't big enough. They're not the furthest or fastest swimming fish, it's true (manoeuvrability is their great strength!), but they still need space to swim up and down and turn comfortably.

I ended up buying a 5'x2'x2' (I'd also acquired a rescue gibbi by this time), which was not a bad size, and I would never recommend anything smaller.

They are intelligent fish; do NOT keep them in bare tanks! It might be annoying to you to have all the substrate piled up in one corner, all your plants ripped apart and all the bogwood tipped over, but that tank is your fish's home, not yours, and they need to be able to rearrange the 'furniture' if they want to :)

I used foam cat balls for my oscar, as he could grab hold of them and swim around with them in his mouth, which he couldn't do with a ping pong ball, and rings made out of airline. I was trying to teach him to retrieve, but we weren't very good at it; I would throw the ball in and he would grab it, but I couldn't get him to bring it back to me :)

Sounds awesome! I didn't plan on a bare tank at all. Sand substrate probably. I do want a hide or two and plastic plants specifically so it can move stuff if it wants. I wasn't really sure if u could teach it tricks but I wouldn't mind trying and maybe petting it some. Not a lot of course. I wouldn't want to hurt it or anything.

About fish training:
The tank is too bare and too small for the Oscar, but you can get an idea how smart they are. (Videos are over a decade old.)

And there is much more on Youtube also with other species. But don't get fooled by some chinese videos which look too good to be true. They are! Fish have a magnet inside and there is a stronger magnet below the container.

Oscar fits,one day I was eating trail mix out of a bag the same size as Oscar's food.

He was pissed

About fish training:
The tank is too bare and too small for the Oscar, but you can get an idea how smart they are. (Videos are over a decade old.)

And there is much more on Youtube also with other species. But don't get fooled by some chinese videos which look too good to be true. They are! Fish have a magnet inside and there is a stronger magnet below the container.

Awesome videos! Thanks! Now I have to do more googling.....lol. but in all seriousness, I do actually plan on using this type of training with my horse this spring! So at least I can get in some practice. Lol. Thanks again!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back