oscar chin spot

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

moneywastedonfish

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey all,
Umm my oscar is about 15cm long and all of a sudden(or so it seems) it has a little pink wart like thing on its bottom lip, Is this some sense thingy for digging in gravel wich it loves to do or is it something i should treat.
I cant post pictures but it is right in the middle of the bottom of the bottom lip and doesnt look out of place or anything.

The water is perrrrrfect and the o doesnt seem to be under any stress as its more active and bright eyed than ever.

Any ideas?

seems to be a common thing my pike has 2 of them on his lower jaw, I wouldn't worry much about it unless it starts to grow like crazy.

It is fairly common in all S. American cichlids. They are rough fish, and when they dig, push, mouth wrestle, etc. it causes sores. As already mentioed, pike cichlids are kindred spirits and inflict all sorts of pain on one another quite regularly.

Watch oscars especially for the mouth tugging. I have seen a lot of broken jaws in my day. Usually not fatal, but it ruins them as a show fish! - "I call this one Rocky." :lol: If you have 2 big males, you need to seperate them. Watch for a while first though, as males and females will often duke it out during the mating process. A female missing half her face is also common if the tank is too small or they just aren't compatable.

Good luck,
/Kris

thanks for the replies.
And copeina you saved me a post as iwas gonna ask about the dislocated looking jaws of some of the larger pet shop o's, is it lip locking that causes this? i thought it might of been from trying to move stuff that they cant eg. the tank- from inside?!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back