orange/red algae

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

skiltrip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My tank is still cycling. I've had it about 3 weeks, maybe a little more. Red/orange algae has begun growing on my driftwood in the tank. is it normal to have this growing? also, what conditions in particular cause red algae to grow? high nitrates? high nitrites?

-kip

Where did you get the driftwood from? I would suggest removing it, scrubbing off the algae. It sounds like the beginnings of a fungus. Driftwood from the wild, if not properly prepared, can still have fungus spores in the wood that come out in the water. I would suggest boiling it for a few hours. Try a canning pot, they are big and rather cheat at walmar. If it doesn't fit all the way, do half then flip it over and let the other half soak.

I asked the guy in my LFS, he seemed to think the red algae was no big deal. He said i'll see a little of that until the initial cycle is over, then any algae after that would be green.

I am considering your advice though. My question is, seeing as my tank is still cycling, would I be killing a lot of helpful bacteria (living on the driftwood) if i went and boiled it?

- Kip

btw - i got this driftwood from my LFS, it was clean when i got it though, no algae or growth at all. they said it would help give my cycle a kick start, as the driftwood would house some helpful bacteria.

I took the advice of boiling the driftwood and it got rid of the brown algae obviously. Looks like it change the color of the wood to a greenish tint where it was growing. Sound normal? Anyway, yeah, boiled the driftwood, and vacuumed underneath it a little. My water is looking pretty sweet, crystal clear. I'll take more pics soon and post them in the pictures section.

- kip

Hi skiltrip,

Algae :grr: I think everyone has a problem with it at some stage or another...

I'm not sure about the driftwood giving your tank a 'kick start' sounds like salesman speak to me ;) but boiling/soaking it befor its added to your tank is allways a good idea - not only to remove bugs, spores etc. but will also remove tannins (some) which can turn your water brown/rusty looking.

The best kick start your tank could get would be to 'seed' it from your established tanks :thumbs: - water, gravel, filter material, decor would help you get through the cycle in no time...

:)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back