Oranda Goldfish Bloated But Not Pineconed

GoggleHat

Reaction score
Does anyone have advice to help my bloated Oranda?

I have kept the Oranda goldfish with a Ryukin for the past 2 years in a 29 gallon tank. I've been through quite a bit with the Oranda, dealing with anchorworms and such, and for a while things have been fine. But recently, the Oranda hasn't been moving very much. He sometimes would lie close to the ground. I checked the water conditions and found that the nitrates (or maybe nitrites...) were the only thing too high. I did about a 2/3 water change, which was a while ago, but he still continued to lie now and again. I just noticed today that he appears more bloated than he should. I quarantined him into a small 2.5 gallon container (I'm going to borrow a 10 gallon from a friend, soon) and added some aquarium salt to the water. What should I do now?

You need to remember whether it was nitrites or nitrates. As they are very different. Nitrates are somewhat okay. Nitrites are not.
I'd suggest not feeding him for a few days.
Pictures would help too. And also the other readings of your water parameters. Is your filter cycled.

I did about a 2/3 water change, which was a while ago,

How long is a while ago?

I checked the water conditions and found that the nitrates (or maybe nitrites...)
Which one was it? Nitrites are toxic in any amount.

When posting a request for help can you please include the following info

1. Water parameters. (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, PH, temp', Hardness etc)
2. A full description of the fishes symptoms.
3. How often you do water changes and how much.
4. Any chemicals and treatments you add to the water.
5. What tank mates are in the tank.
6. Tank size.
7. Finally Have you recently added any new fish?

You may cut and paste the template below and submit in your post:

Request Help

Tank size:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible):
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/422952-start-here-with-your-emergency/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back