One Strain Or Multi Strain Of Discus?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

freshwaterfishlover

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I'm basicly done planting my tank. May add a plant or 2 more , but I'm more or less done. I can't decide if I will put one strain of Discus or Multi Strains. I will be adding 6 Discus. What do you guys think?

So long as they are of similar size and all healthy and the tank is big enough and ready for them... their colours are up to you.

Personally I enjoyed having different coloured discus lol, was certainly a rainbow tank! I had a Red & White, Blue Cobolt, Red Turquoise, Blue Turquoise, Brilliant Turquoise, Red Melon, Penang Erruption, 3 different coloured Pidgeon Bloods, White Butterfly and I forget the names of the others!

Most important thing when buying new discus is to worm them in my opinion, if you can buy Kusuri Discus Wormer, it might potentially prevent you losing your discus in a few weeks/months time. The stress of moving to a new home means their immune systems will be low and their natural parasite load will multiply beyond control. Best to treat them after their first week.

65 Gallon
Sand Substrate
Canister Filter
Temp at 81F
PH at 7.4
43 plants and 1 driftwood: Add Excel every other day and add Iron once a week.
Light: Just upgraded to a 40W T8
Declorinate with Stress coat
Water changes: 40%-50% Just up it to once a week for the Discus. Clean one of the four Filter pads a week.
Stock: Currently 2 Synadontis Catfish 2 Flower Shrimp. Adding 6 Discus and 10 Sterbai Corys over a 8 week period.

Sounds spot on, go for discus you like! :)

A tank of all one strain certainly has it's charm but varying colours can look just as good.... it's really just as MBOU says, it's really upto you, what one person thinks is nice can be so different to the next persons opinion ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back