One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sang72

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ok, I've got a question that's been bugging me for a while. I always thought that the plural of fish was.......fish. Yet, I've seen the term fishes used a lot, not just here, but in published periodicals and literature. Does fishes refer to more than one kind of fish or is it just bastardization of the english language???

*not to be confused with fishies which is an affectionate term for my fish(es), like kitties is for my cats*

I have wondered the same!! I thought it was fish rather than fishes, but I see fishes all the time!!

I am interested in what people have to say about this.

Or are we just too pedantic?!

:p

And here I thought that I was the ONLY picky person in the world. Lol. That's kind of funny, because I always thought that 'fishes' was a
bastardization of the english language
Well, there you have it folks, english, not only the most widely used language, but also the most confusing language in the world!!

....but if the plural of goose is geese,
then wouldn't the plural of moose be meese?

Just adding my thoughts....

silver said:
Hmmmmmmm........
Interesting... :shifty:

Now can someone explain the pl*co thing.......PLEEEEEEASE!!! :lol:

:*)

Silver
:*
It's a superstitious thing from a forum where they thought that writing pleco would kill their fish.

Luckily, I say plec. :p

I figured fishes refered to different types of fish while fish could be same species or different types. I guess it makes sense that it's not that complicated, simply do whatever you want. YAY FOR ENGLISH!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back