Omg! My Severums Are Not Severums!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Athena

Fish Herder
Reaction score
OMG OMG OMG - I can't believe this! I just happened to be browsing the cichlids forum and spotted a thread asking members to identify some baby fish that they'd been told were Severums but thought might be Convicts - and replies were saying that they were all Pink Convicts.

Well - the fish in the photos look almost identical to my pair of Pink "Severums". Except having now just Googled up Pink Convicts I can see quite clearly that my Severums are, in fact, Pink Convicts!!! No wonder I couldn't find any information anywhere on Pink Severums. Doh!! :crazy:

Do you know how stupid I feel? :blush: All these months of thinking I had a pair of rare Pink Severums. Just wait till I go to my LFS next time! I don't know how they could have got it so wrong - I guess Convicts and Severums look alike... and as I was unable to find any pics of Pink Severums anywhere (the closest were gold severums) I had nothing to compare them with.

Has anyone else had anything similar happen to them, where they believed they owned a certain fish and found out later it was something else?

Athena

Hi again, I looked all over for pics of baby gold severums and they look pretty much like convicts, only reason I knew they were convicts was cause they are getting blue across there fins which gold sevs don't get.Plus they all follow my bigger convict around lol.Like I said on my post, the severums you get are green,blue,gold and red,If you see anything else it's just a lie to get you to buy them.When they are babies they look alike but adults are alot different, stunning fish if you ask me.Next time I head to my fish shop I will be taking them back, think you might wanna do the same aswell,Just keep the 1.

Lol. I've got an upside down catfish downstairs that apparently isn't an upside down cat...not sure what it is. Will have to dig out the camera.

God bless the ID experts on this forum.

Lol. I've got an upside down catfish downstairs that apparently isn't an upside down cat...not sure what it is. Will have to dig out the camera.

I'm usually alright with catfish so if you post a pic I can maybe tell you what it is

did the lfs charge you extra for these.... ummm..... "rare pink sevs".... cause if they did I would be hounding them to refund some of your money. Cause I doubt they would get it wrong.... unless it was a big box store... then its lucky they knew to keep the fish in water....

Ox :good:

it will probably be then synodontis eupterus

did the lfs charge you extra for these.... ummm..... "rare pink sevs".... cause if they did I would be hounding them to refund some of your money. Cause I doubt they would get it wrong.... unless it was a big box store... then its lucky they knew to keep the fish in water....

I don't think they would have deliberately lied to me about it as I get on really well with them in there and know them all for a good while now. More like they were misinformed themselves as to what they were. They often take fish off of local breeders to sell for them so I reckon there must've been a mix up somehow as to what they were. No idea if I was overcharged or not - think I paid about £15 for the pair. Does that sound reasonable if you were buying a pair of Severums? Would the price have been much different for a pair of pink convicts?

Once I've got hold of a bluetooth gadget thing I will try uploading a pic or two just to get confirmation that they are convicts - but I'm pretty sure they are. I still love them - though it's going to take some getting used to having to call them "Convicts" LOL! Don't like it :angry: makes it sound like my tank is a prison!

Athena

I don't think they would have deliberately lied to me about it as I get on really well with them in there and know them all pretty well, more like they were misinformed themselves as to what they were. They often take fish off of local breeders to sell for them. No idea if I was overcharged or not - think I paid about £15 for the pair. Does that sound reasonable if you were buying a pair of Severums? Would the price have been much different for a pair of pink convicts?

I wouldn't pay more than a tenner for a pair of pink Convicts, and they would have to be of a decent size for me to want to part with that much. What size are they?

Maybe for a confirmed, mature pair.... but still, cons are not the rarest of fish so if I knew they were cons.... I might have trouble letting go of that kind of money even for a mature, confirmed pair....

I don't think they would have deliberately lied to me about it as I get on really well with them in there and know them all pretty well, more like they were misinformed themselves as to what they were. They often take fish off of local breeders to sell for them. No idea if I was overcharged or not - think I paid about £15 for the pair. Does that sound reasonable if you were buying a pair of Severums? Would the price have been much different for a pair of pink convicts?

I wouldn't pay more than a tenner for a pair of pink Convicts, and they would have to be of a decent size for me to want to part with that much. What size are they?

Oh, they actually haven't grown much at all since I got them and the female is about 1.5 - 2" and the male is about 2.5".

Athena

Meh, I wouldn't be upset that i'd ended up with Pink Convicts, Convicts are very attractive fish when look after correctly. Bit overpriced for what they are and the size they were though.

Meh, I wouldn't be upset that i'd ended up with Pink Convicts, Convicts are very attractive fish when look after correctly. Bit overpriced for what they are and the size they were though.

Oh yes, I agree - I love them to bits - just shocked that I was doing research trying to find info on pink severums all this time when they aren't even severums LOL.

So are convicts cheaper to buy than severums then? Especially a mated pair of severums?

I would say most definitely so. Convicts are so easy to breed that anyone can do it. Severums take a bit more work.

Ok, thanks - I guess that's why I was charged that amount then, if they thought they were a severum pair. I'm not going to be asking for any money back, though, 'cos they are always doing me good deals with discounts off many items as I've been a good customer for ages. I'll let them know that they are pink convicts, though, just in case they get more in and label them up incorrectly again!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back