What's new

Old member returning

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

TwistedHelix

Reaction score
Hi guys, used to frequent here back in 2007-2009. My tank got incurable NTD even after meticulous care before, and during it all and kind of lost the passion and interest.

Bought a new house recently and a good big tank will suit it nicely.

I shall be posting the usual newbie questions again just to check if anything has changed but I'll see if they've been answered already so no reposts hopefully.

I am a scientist (Analytical Chemistry) so hopefully I can help with regards to some water chemistry questions.

Cannot wait to get my new tank up and running.

Getting the Juwel Rio/Vision 400/450.

Had a 180 litre tank last time and loved it. Bigger tanks are much easier to maintain from what I remember.

I joined the forum about the time you left :)

I can think of two things that have changed since I joined in 2006. Planted tanks are a lot more popular now, and we understand fishless cycling better. If you plan on doing a fishless cycle, check out the newer method which uses our better understanding of the bacteria involved http://www.fishforums.net/forums/cycle-your-tank.291/

Ah yes! I did a fishless cycle before and it was certainly more successful than fish cycles.

I shall read up on the progresses made.

I always love real plants in aquariums anyway so always had planted tanks by aesthetic choice but nice to know it has functional uses too.

Feeling all excited again like in 2007 when I last picked it up. Love just watching shoals go by for hours.

I should also add that if you intend a heavily planted tank, not just a couple of anubias or Java fern, you can avoid the need for cycling. Just make sure you have a tank full of well growing plants and add fish a few at a time, monitoring both ammonia and nitrite to be on the safe side. I am a recent convert to live plants so I tend to forget about this way of setting up a tank.

Hi guys, used to frequent here back in 2007-2009. My tank got incurable NTD even after meticulous care before, and during it all and kind of lost the passion and interest.

Bought a new house recently and a good big tank will suit it nicely.

I shall be posting the usual newbie questions again just to check if anything has changed but I'll see if they've been answered already so no reposts hopefully.

I am a scientist (Analytical Chemistry) so hopefully I can help with regards to some water chemistry questions.

Cannot wait to get my new tank up and running.

Getting the Juwel Rio/Vision 400/450.

Had a 180 litre tank last time and loved it. Bigger tanks are much easier to maintain from what I remember.

Well hello! And wow Analytical Chemist! That hurts my brain to even consider what you must do in a day!
But I'm excited to see what kind of advice and help you have to offer and selfishly would love to hear what you'd have to say about my water chemistry!
I have a topic going here titled "if I were to use water direct from well..."
if you have the time, of course!

I too had come back to fish keeping many years after owning a large tank and doing everything COMPLETELY WRONG!
I came here to learn how to set up a tiny little tank and I got all the wonderful help I needed to get my little 6 gallon fluval edge running beautifully.

....and you're correct in saying bigger tanks are MUCH easier! Obviously since I had no idea what I was doing when I owned my large tank and I had two cichlids that lived 8 years!
And now I can't keep an endler alive for more than 8 months!

I'm super excited to see what you set up!!!

Oh I am sure the members here have answered it well Jen but I'll have a look.

I remember this forum being an invaluable source of information and gave me a good near 2 years of perfect fish keeping - until I decided to get some neon tetras and it all went down the toilet - quite literally.

the members here have answered it well
They've been a HUGE help! I'd be so lost if it weren't for a few in particular.
If it weren't for them, I'd still be running my water thru the stupid softer wondering why the ph is ever changing!

this forum being an invaluable source of information
You can always google a question but to be able to come here and know that someone you trust has had experience in something is...well like you said "invaluable".

until I decided to get some neon tetras and it all went down the toilet - quite literally.
Oh man, Sooooo many people have issues with these pretty little fish!
I'm sorry to hear that.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back