Old Betta Slowly Dying

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Sorry I meant chloramine :blush:
Yes Prime will tke care of it. It will still give a (false) positive ammonia reading on the API kit. For chloramine you should use double the recommended dosage of prime.

Sorry I meant chloramine :blush:
Yes Prime will tke care of it. It will still give a (false) positive ammonia reading on the API kit. For chloramine you should use double the recommended dosage of prime.
Wow! So glad that I found YOU! My poor babies. Thank you, thank you!

My very experienced friend is actually a vet tech.
Yes very experienced vet tech giving great advice.

Seachem Prime is highly over rated, it will bind ammonia nitrate ans nitrite for 24 to 48 hours after which they will be released back into the water if not removed.

API master freshwater test kit cant tell the difference between ammonia and ammonium.

Why would chlorine in the water affect ammonia?

Members please note.
If you have ammonia readings of 1 like the OP

25% water change will bring the ammonia levels down to .75
50% water change will bring the ammonia level down to.50
75% water change will bring the ammonia level down to .25

Last edited:
Yes very experienced vet tech giving great advice.

Seachem Prime is highly over rated, it will bind ammonia nitrate ans nitrite for 24 to 48 hours after which they will be released back into the water if not removed.

Why would chlorine and chloramine in the water affect ammonia?

Members please note.
If you have ammonia readings of 1 like the OP

25% water change will bring the ammonia levels down to .75
50% water change will bring the ammonia level down to.50
75% water change will bring the ammonia level down to .25
I find your comment rude. My best friend in the entire world is now blind and declining from Lupus. She is brilliant! She works with leading universities in aquatic research. She doesn’t live in Texas and because of her illness, I try not to bother her too much. Besides, she knows I know most of the basics that you have given me already. Most people know that changing 50% of water lowers readings by 50%. That’s 101 in aquatics. Anyway, My friend is on this forum but been too ill to post recently. Please be courteous when commenting. You never know where someone else is coming from.

Well your friend diagnosed your fish as being old when in fact it is suffering ammonia poisoning.

Who said he is suffering ammonia poisoning? That was your conclusion only. He is a geriatric fish. No doubt about that part. The other betta in the tank is fine because he is young and has a strong immune system. My purple one, due to his age, doesn’t have a strong immune system. Prime protects them both from the toxicity of ammonia and the ammonia issue creeped up after my fish was sick. Besides, that gave you the right to bash her?

Who said he is suffering ammonia poisoning? That was your conclusion only

I said your fish is suffering from ammonia poisoning because your ammonia reading is 1.0 that is very toxic to fish.

Prime is over rated over priced rubbish.

Did you know 2 drops of prime per gallon of water will only deal with ammonia of up to 1.0?, for higher readings1,0 or above you need more than 2 drops per gallon.

Prime only binds ammonia for 24 to 48 hours then releases it back into the water if not removed, wheres a product like Tetra or API binds it permanently.

Anyway Im done here,

I’m afraid I don’t know his exact age. I bought him from a breeder who was no longer using him. He said he was 15 months which would make him almost 20 months now. I think he was actually older. His skin is paling in places, his caudal fin is ragged and he has a cataract forming on one eye. All signs of older bettas. He sleeps most of the day now and has trouble swimming to the top for food. I didn’t pay much for him but fell in Love with him. Trying to keep him happy and comfortable now. Any ideas?

I am a new Betta owner and I think my two are less than a year old so I can't be of much help. I do admire you for trying to save him. If he's less than 2 years old I hope you can. Best of luck!

I am a new Betta owner and I think my two are less than a year old so I can't be of much help. I do admire you for trying to save him. If he's less than 2 years old I hope you can. Best of luck!
Thank you so much. I do too!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back