Oily Film On Water?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wilchil64

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My betta Sapph is in a 28 litre tank, I've had him for 2 weeks now, he seems perfectly happy (he's currently making a beautiful bubble nest) and water tests come back 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates.

But there is an oily film on top of the water and I wondered what it is and if it will cause him any problems?

The filter has a piece of stocking/panty hose over the outlet so that the current isn't too strong for him, could this be the reason there is a film on top of the water? it's been like that for over a week now, almost since I first put him in there really.

I changed his water (30%) on Tuesday and am planning on doing another 30% change tomorrow, although not sure if it's necessary with the low nitrates?

I feed him once a day, sometimes 4 pellets Hikari Betta Bio Gold and sometimes frozen brine shrimp, sometimes live daphnia.

There is algae developing on teh pebbles (brown/green) which I will take out tomorrow and clean, although I'm wondering if I should put in a small shoal (maybe 4) of dwarf/pygmy corys or otos, would they eat the algae (obviously I'd feed them as well!) Would they get on with my betta?

Thanks.

the film is most probably protien and/or oily fats that are in his food. corys wont touch the algea, although ottos will, but they like a mature tank.whilts doing water changes do you use a siphon? it may help just to do it with a large jug so you can catch the surface water to remove the scum on the surface.

Hi
Try taking a sheet of kitchen towel and placing it on the surface to soak up some of the scum,
Does the fish eat all of the pellets you feed him? as said excess food is usually a cause

the film is most probably protien and/or oily fats that are in his food. corys wont touch the algea, although ottos will, but they like a mature tank.whilts doing water changes do you use a siphon? it may help just to do it with a large jug so you can catch the surface water to remove the scum on the surface.

Yes, usually I use a syphon, I'll try using a jug tomorrow to do the water change.

The first time I spotted the oily film on top I removed it with paper towels (a week ago).

I only feed him 4 pellets or a few brine shrimp and he does seem to eat all of them. He certainly eats all the pellets, but it coud be he's not catching all the daphnia or brine shrimp.

I'll wait a good few months before considering adding some otos, if they would be compatible, I think. In the meantime should I leave the algae for now or remove the pebbles and rinse it off?

Thanks everyone.

I would just vaccum the gravel good, if you do want some other tank mates you dotn want to destroy all of the alge they will be more then willing to take care of for you.

the fats from the food can come from eaten as well as uneaten food, I would just do some more frequent water changes.

I would just vaccum the gravel good, if you do want some other tank mates you dotn want to destroy all of the alge they will be more then willing to take care of for you.

the fats from the food can come from eaten as well as uneaten food, I would just do some more frequent water changes.

Will do. How many otos would be ok with my male betta in a 28 litre tank?

Hi
Try taking a sheet of kitchen towel and placing it on the surface to soak up some of the scum,
Does the fish eat all of the pellets you feed him? as said excess food is usually a cause
I'd just like to point out that this could be a bad idea, seeming as they make the kitchen towel white by bleaching it...

Most reactions

Back