Not sure if these babies are sick or if that's how they look (photos included)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Angeline

Reaction score
So I got these babies about a month or so ago. They're about an inch long and I've noticed their bellies getting bigger. The friend that gave them to me believes that the mother is a Platy she has in her tank (orange one on the right). The babies have the same black flecks on them as well so I believe it could be the mom as well. (Not related) that one black fish she has with the shredded fins, he's been like that for a long time and eventually the fin damage stopped getting worse but how can she be sure it isn't fin rot? Please ignore the yellow circle that was her showing me her snail.

Attachments

• IMG_4087.jpg
    IMG_4087.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 157
  • 20190422_225514.jpg
    20190422_225514.jpg
    664.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 20190422_225516.jpg
    20190422_225516.jpg
    688.2 KB · Views: 144
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The first picture (IMG_4087) has a yellow sunset platy on the far left, a male guppy with a shredded tail, 2 black marble mollies at top of picture (black and white spotty fish), and another platy in the middle of the picture (grey front and orange red tail).

The fat belly is probably from baby fish, the platies are probably pregnant.

-------------------------
Fin rot is caused by poor water quality. The best way to treat it is to do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for at least 1 week. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

If the tail has stopped falling apart, then it is probably fine and should heal up over the next month.

The first picture (IMG_4087) has a yellow sunset platy on the far left, a male guppy with a shredded tail, 2 black marble mollies at top of picture (black and white spotty fish), and another platy in the middle of the picture (grey front and orange red tail).

Fin rot is caused by poor water quality. The best way to treat it is to do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for at least 1 week. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

If the tail has stopped falling apart, then it is probably fine and should heal up over the next month.

I thought that at first but they've been separated from any adults since they were teeny tiny and they're only a inch if even right now so I feel like pregnancy is not an option for them they're still babies :/

if they are an inch long they are mature.

if there are no males in the tank they are probably just fat from food.
How long did it take them to get fat?

if they are an inch long they are mature.

if there are no males in the tank they are probably just fat from food.
How long did it take them to get fat?
It happened gradually once I added them into the tank but when they were seoerated they were pretty much fune

As long as they are eating normally they should be fine. If they stop eating, or their scales stick out from the body, or they do a stringy white poop, then post pictures asap and we can go from there, but at this stage I would say they are just well fed.

It's not a problem for young fish to be fat because they use the nutrients to grow. Once they are adults (full grown) you can reduce feeding if they look overweight, but if they are pregnant then keep feeding them well so they produce healthier babies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back