Not Another Sand Question!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MarkM

Reaction score
I am changing my gravel to sand...have read up on the process...so I am ok with that...

I have a question with how much to order...I am going for this:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/s...Terms=play+sand

Ideally I would want black but cant find it anywhere at a reasonable price...the Argos bag is 15kg...my tank dimensions are 30 inches long 12 inches deep...its 23 or so gallons...will one bag be enough?

i would say 1 or 1.5 will do it, really depends on the look you are after, raised in places, or flat, and weather you have aplastic skirt at the bottom of the glass tank itself

just get 2, you will need more in the future anyway to replace after vac`s etc

shelagh xxx

Just after a natural effect so some undulations

Anyone know where I can get some dark coloured sand quite cheap?

Just changed over to sand, my tank almost the same size and it tok 1.5 bags of argos sand.

Good luck, it took me and my partner about 4 hours.

I think one should be enough as i used i.5 in my 4 foot tank

Hi, I used about 1 15k bag in my 55G, but then I didnt want it very deep. But as others have said you will need more later on, as you tend to lose a little bit at each vacuum - well I know I do LOL, havent quite got the hang of the syphoning sand yet :rolleyes:

Not sure where you can get dark/black sand, I couldnt find any either, but the playsand looks good, you just have to get used to the poop showing up (hence my losing sand in the vacuuming!!!) :blush:

Home-base do coloured sand - or at least they always used to. Last time I went in, they only had purple (It was for the reptile tank), but I'd assume they do other colours

Substrate was changed yesterday...took forever but wanted to make sure it was done properly.

Looks great and far more natural.

My two firemouths and two Kribs love it.

This is something I hae wanted to do for ages as i do not like the coarse gravel i hvae had since i set up my tank in November.

How do you go about the process? I think i want eiher fine gravel or sand not sure which but do you have to empty everything out first including fish & water? If so that may prove too much wor for me as i have no where to put the fish!!!

Could you point in the direction of where you got your info from please?

This is something I hae wanted to do for ages as i do not like the coarse gravel i hvae had since i set up my tank in November.

How do you go about the process? I think i want eiher fine gravel or sand not sure which but do you have to empty everything out first including fish & water? If so that may prove too much wor for me as i have no where to put the fish!!!

Could you point in the direction of where you got your info from please?

if you want a graduated look throughout the tank, just get all your fish out and drop the sand in at one corner - as the sand falls it'll spread a little bit giving you a corner of gravel covered in sand (you can even push a bit of the gravel out the way if you need to). much easier than taking everything out and putting it all back :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back