Non Native Species In The Uk

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Adders are more than adept swimmers! I've seen em swimming happily and a friend has one that lives near and in her large natural pond.

Last year I found a french house lizard in a plant pot, and we get hundreds of grey squirrels, which I shoot with my air rifle, I hate the things!

i have the same problem with rabbits. the borders in our garden look like they have been shelled. we shoot billions of them, but they breed so fast. :grr:

there was a pair of cattle egrets nested on a river in colchester last year .

Gosh no-ones posted on this thread for ages!
I can tell you now though..... I think guppies are getting hardier everyday and now they are getting released into the stream near me! I saw a guppy in the stream while trying to catch some shrimp for my smallest tank.
Caught it and it turns out it was FEMALE!! Big problem if guppies are getting released into the wild here! The stream is freezing so i don't know how it's surviving but it sure was it looked nice and healthy! I nearly brought it back to my house to put with mine but then decided against it.

Alessa x.

Gosh no-ones posted on this thread for ages!
I can tell you now though..... I think guppies are getting hardier everyday and now they are getting released into the stream near me! I saw a guppy in the stream while trying to catch some shrimp for my smallest tank.
Caught it and it turns out it was FEMALE!! Big problem if guppies are getting released into the wild here! The stream is freezing so i don't know how it's surviving but it sure was it looked nice and healthy! I nearly brought it back to my house to put with mine but then decided against it.

Alessa x.
What you saw is likely a minnow, a guppy in water that cold would die within the hour. Please stop taking animals from the wild, they'll just end up dead. If you find an animal, if you think it looks poorly, just leave it be, maybe help it across the road if its in the road, but otherwise, DO NOT TOUCH! Despite the best of intentions, you will only cause more harm than good.

I didn't take it! I left it! It swam off! It went scaboosh! How many more ways do you want me to say it was left free?!?!
It went bye byes! It said bye!
And it was most definitely a GUPPY! I keep guppies and it had a red tail! It was pale with a red tail! WAAAAY to big for a minnow! About 2-3" long!

Alessa x.

I didn't take it! I left it! It swam off! It went scaboosh! How many more ways do you want me to say it was left free?!?!
And it was most definitely a GUPPY! I keep guppies and it had a red tail! It was pale with a red tail! WAAAAY to big for a minnow! About 2-3" long!

Alessa x.
Was probably a baby perch. A guppy would be sluggish and die extremely quickly in English waters.

I know of a few populations of Wallaby's in the British Isles, the biggest population are reported to be on the isle of man. Also in Southern England.

I have seen them in the wild in Australia but have never seen them myself over here.

Alessa x.
Was probably a baby perch. A guppy would be sluggish and die extremely quickly in English waters.

I doubt you'd get a perch mixed up with a guppy.

James.

stickle back same size and red and no one said anything about it been left free if it was a guppy you should of removed it as its non native anyway

scot

WHAT DO I DO?!?!?! FIRST I GET TOLD LEAVE IT THEN I GET TOLD TAKE IT BECAUSE IT'S NOT NATURAL!!!!! I CAUGHT IT AGAIN TO TAKE A QUICK BUT THOROUGH LOOK AND IT WAS DEFINITELY A FEMALE GUPPY!!! IT WAS GUPPY SHAPED AND HAD A RED TAIL BUT NO OTHER COLOUR!
IT LOOKED LIKE THIS!!!
pregnant-red-tail-guppy-2008.jpg

AND THIS IS DEFINITELY A FEMALE GUPPY!

Alessa x.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back