Nocturnal Pleco

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

KezCookie

Reaction score
So I've had this little pleco for a few weeks now and I have never ever seen it out during the day - only the night. I would love to see this little guy out during the day but he simply won't come out from his hiding place during the day unless forced to. I was wondering, is there anyway I can make him come out during the day on his own? For example, remove any of the possible hiding places for him for a little while so he realises that being exposed during the day is nothing to be afraid of? Nothing in my tank will harm him, I only have a few guppies, some swordtails and some corys. Let me know of any suggestions and any feedback is appreciated.

If your pleco is anything like any other fish that likes to hide during the day, the best way to get him/her out is to provide MORE places to hide not fewer. I have Kuhli loaches and many years ago I found the best way to get them out during the day was to make them feel secure and that means more places to hide. The more places a timid fish can get to if it feels threatened, the more likely it is to come out in the open. Bear in mind that this will not change overnight, make more hiding places and wait, sometimes for weeks.

Plecos are nocturnal there is nothing you can do about it, Removing hiding places and trying to force it out will just cause it stress. In time as it feels more secure in its environment it may come out more especially at feeding time.

Do you know what to feed a pleco?

This is a list of vegetables and fruit that are popular with most plecs.

Zucchini/Courgette
Cucumber
Peas (deshelled)
Sweet Potato
Green Beans
Melon/Melon rind

Aubergine/Egg plant
Avocado
Broad Beans
Broccoli/Stalk
Butternut Squash+ other squash
Capsicum/Bell pepper(not the hot ones)
Cauliflower/Stalk
Carrot
Coconut
Grapes
Kale/Collard Greens
Kiwi Fruit
Lettuce
Lima Beans
Mango
Mushroom (common plecs and goldspots love mushroom)let it float,they will reach it.
Papaya
Potato
Pumpkin
Spinach
Sprouts
Swede
Tomato
Yam

Thanks for the feedback, and I have a cucumber in the tank right now just waiting to be eaten :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back