Nitrites In 1 Day!? Bloom?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
FB333 said:
Quick update and question:

I noticed that the cloudy bloom is clearing nicely now. I turned the light on to have a better look...

I noticed some weird white 'foggy slime' waving in the flow of the water on the gravel near the filter.

Its hard to describe so I took a short video of it. What is it? Bacterial colony?

Levels as of time of filming this video were:
Ammo - 0ppm
Nitrites - 5ppm
Nitrates - 5/10ppm
pH - 8/8.2
Temp - 82-84F
Lights have been off for 95% of the last 3 days. No direct sunlight.

The gravel is black but it looks grey where that stuff (bio-film?) is growing.

Heres the Video (Youtube Link) - It was filmed on an iphone and kept losing focus, sorry.
What do you think about that weird looking white stuff? Good? Bad?

Quick update:

+36 hours

Ammo - 3ppm
Nitirites - 0ppm

It seems the abundance of ammonia munching bacteria I had a few days ago are not as abundent now.

Did I stall my cycle with too high a nitrite level? Left it too long without giving them an ammo snack (1/3 dose)? Is the weird white stuff killing the good bacteria?

Thanks in advance

That's a bit strange... Things seem to be ahead of schedule overall, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Just keep testing every 24 hours.  The ammonia should be lower tomorrow.

eaglesaquarium said:
That's a bit strange... Things seem to be ahead of schedule overall, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Just keep testing every 24 hours.  The ammonia should be lower tomorrow.

You were right :)

This morning I have:

Ammo - 1ppm
Nitrites - 0.25ppm

I'll check again later in like 8 hours to see if the levels are continuing to move for the better.

Is it a coincidence that after a removed the weird white stuff, the level nitrifying bacteria seem to have woken up again?

It could be a coincidence... Not sure what they stuff is/was.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back