Nitrite Phase Of Fish-in Cycle

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Scates11

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I finally yesterday got my first trace of nitrites in my 36 gallon bowfront. I set this tank up on Dec. 2nd and since I put the fish in have had fairly consistant readings of .25 ammonia and 0 nitrites. Finally yesterday I got .25 nitrites to go along with the ammonia so I did a 50% water change, this was very exciting...in fact it was almost embarassing how excited I was, at least my girl thought i was embarasing myself :)

I know that it is different for everyone but about how long can I expect the nitrite phase of the cycle to last...I have heard that it spikes real quick and goes down within 3 days, I have heard it takes just as long as the ammonia portion and I have heard that it takes longer...what is true? Thanks for any advise, I am happy to start looking forward to a stocking plan for this tank!

I'd lean on the takes as long as the ammonia portion, but it could stay a bit shorter too. You've probably been cycling some of the nitrite that has been produced by the AOBs, but since the NOBs have such a tiny supply, they haven't really gotten a strong colony yet. They will come along nicely.

Congrats on Phase 2!

Thank you! I sure hope it is not as long, don't know that I have another 5 weeks of daily testing/water changes in me lol

Understandable, that's why a fishless cycle is usually the recommendation. It isn't faster, but its far less taxing on you and the fish. ;-)

Great to hear you are moving forward. The only thing you can do, is keep testing until you get double zeros consistently. This takes time.

looking back on my notes my nitrites spiked, then fell to 0.25 in 3 days then took a further 9 days to reach zero. Have patience, it will happen
good.gif

You might find this chart helpful:
n-cycle.gif

As you can see ammonia should normally spike in 12-14 days and at 10 ppm of total ammonia-n if nothing is done to prevent that level. It should zero out by or before about day 20. Nitrite-n should normally appear somewhere just before ammonia-n has spiked. It should also reach a maximum level about 20 ppm if nothing is done to prevent that level as well. It should zero out before or by about day 40. So ammonia is present for a maximum of about 20 days or less while nitrite will be present for more like 30 days or so. The reason for this is the nitrite oxidizing bacteria grow more slowly than the ammonia oxidizers. So the level of nitrite keeps building until the nitrite oxidizers can catch up.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back