Nitrite at 0.25ppm

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ross1977

Reaction score
Hi all

New to this site and new to fishkeeping. Got hooked when my sister in law came home with a goldfish for the kids.

I now have a 200l tropical tank and was wondering how long it takes for the nitrites to fall to zero. I've had the tank set up for 6 weeks,first with no fish and then I've gradually added 6 zebra danios,8 corys and 10 cardinal tetras. I think I added the fish too soon as last week I had a nitrite reading of 5ppm. With constant water changes and reduction in feeding it's now at 0.25. Ammonia is 0 and nitrates between 0 and 10. Does this mean that the cycle is almost complete. I worry that the fish will suffer although they all seem to be doing fine. Will I need to go daily changes to get to 0. Also can I use some of my filter media from my goldfish tank to speed up the cycle

Hi all

New to this site and new to fishkeeping. Got hooked when my sister in law came home with a goldfish for the kids.

I now have a 200l tropical tank and was wondering how long it takes for the nitrites to fall to zero. I've had the tank set up for 6 weeks,first with no fish and then I've gradually added 6 zebra danios,8 corys and 10 cardinal tetras. I think I added the fish too soon as last week I had a nitrite reading of 5ppm. With constant water changes and reduction in feeding it's now at 0.25. Ammonia is 0 and nitrates between 0 and 10. Does this mean that the cycle is almost complete. I worry that the fish will suffer although they all seem to be doing fine. Will I need to go daily changes to get to 0. Also can I use some of my filter media from my goldfish tank to speed up the cycle

based on what i've read, nitrates are much less harmful than ammonia, and that level doesn't sound bad to me, but then again i've only ever owned bettas. as for the nitrite it would probably depend on how sensitive the fish in your tank are. as stated before i've only ever owned bettas and have researched only a couple other fish outside of them.
i've also read that yes, you can transfer filter media from one tank to another to speed up a cycle. not sure what the guidelines to follow would be though, if there are any.
also, just a note - you might want to wait for some other more experienced fish keepers respond. i'm not here to misinform, but i'm just now learning some of the more basic rules of keeping aquariums. the betta i currently have is the only betta i've kept that i've done my best to care for correctly. all of the ones before? not so much. the point is that i've still got a lot to learn.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back