Nitrates Elevated, Nitrites Through The Roof!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

rpgmomma8404

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, I got two guppies last Friday by the suggestion of the fish store guy. The nitrites were barely elevated but he said the fish should be okay. Well, fast forward to this Friday and end up with a dead fish.Ā Wasn'tĀ thinking it was the water because itā€™s been clear for the most part. I finally got a used API test kit and I tested the water. Nitrites were crazy high and nitrates were elevated. I had the fish store people test water also just in case I did something wrong with testing (same results).
Ā 
We have one fish left but heā€™s not looking so good right now. Pretty sure heā€™s going to die. I ended up doing a 10% water change today and got some of that top fin bacterial crap which I put in the tank.
Ā 
Ā 
Iā€™m not sure where to go from here. I donā€™t know if this little guy will make it by morning but I guess I will see. Should I do another water change tomorrow? I also noticed that there are little specks of white stuff in the water and for the life of me canā€™t figure out what the hell it is. I donā€™t know if that has anything to do with what is going on currently.
Ā 
Ā 
I would really like to slap my friend for giving me the fish tank bug. I remember having fish tanks as a kid and never being this damn difficult (I did most of the upkeep myself, mom and dad just bought the fish). Then again all the stuff I had was used. Only two of the tanks were brand new (had two ten gallons, a five gallon, three gallon and two gallon).
Ā 
Ā 
Anyway, any advice would be grateful. I do no longer trust the butt nuggets at the fish store.Ā 

Was the tank cycled?
Ā 
Do a 75% water change as soon as you can, remembering to use a dechlorinater and temperature match the water.
Ā 
Do a 50% water change every time you see some nitrite.

I thought the tank was. I had the fish store guy tested it before I even looked at the fish. He said it would be alright to start out with two. I didnā€™t get the API master kit until after I got the fish (probably stupid of me). Tank sat there for a month running. Not sure what went wrong. Think I probably should have gone with my gut and let it sit longer until I got the kit. Iā€™ll do a big water change tomorrow and just keep a close eye on the tank.Ā 

Yeah, I read as much as I could (probably should re-read everything as I have a hard time remembering things, lol). I didn't have ammonia (no idea if any stores even have it around here) but I seen someone talked about adding a little bit of fish food to the tank to help it going. That's what I did. I got a sample of fish flakes with the tank. I added a little bit everyday for a couple of days. Then the water got cloudy so figured I was on the right track. Did some water changes and such. Only thing I could think of after giving it some thought that I made a mistake on was maybe change too much of the water but I really don't know. Like I said above probably should of waited to get my own test kit before I got the fish. The one I have left gave me a good scare last night. He seems to be doing much better this morning.Ā 

ace hardware sells ammonia that will work if you want to do a fishless cycle.

I've been doing water changes since I posted this and nothing has seemed to budge. I checked the tap water and test came back with low traces of nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia (yuck). So, I'm not really sure where to go from here. I have some ammonia detoxifier that I received from someone I bought a tank from (suppose to help with nitrite and nitrate also) but I've heard that doesn't always work and will give false readings to test. I don't know if the tap water having the crap that it has in it is making the problem worst or am I worrying over nothing? Any advice would be helpful.Ā 

The tap water shouldn't have Ammonia and Nitrite in it - surely?

I can test again but it was showing it was there with all three test but all were very low. Maybe I read it wrong I am not sure. I live near a large city so I wouldn't think the water would be coming up with these results.Ā 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back