Nitrate Reducing Filter Media

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Matt75

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been running my tank for a few months now and have struggled to balance down the Nitrate content. In the last 24hrs I decided to take advice from another thread and test my own tap water - looks like its coming out at 40ppm+ !

I read in the API Test Master book that they have a filter media that can reduce this etc - any suggestions on either a liquid additive / filter media that has proven itself ?

I've got a 125L tank with an APS1000 external filter on it - the three tray type, so can handle loose media fine.

Thanks in advance !

Matt

I have nitrate at that kind of level in my tapwater too. It's not a problem. Don't bother about making someone else richer for a product you don't need.

I do a 15L change once a week with a hoover around the sand to clear out as much of the gunk as possible - but I'm just worried about side effects on the fish over a prolonged period of higher nitrate levels.

However, the fish that came with the tank - not sure it had been cleaned in 12+ months, so maybe they are just hardy !

15l isn't really enough on a 125l tank - you want to be looking at around 40-50l. As I said, 40ppm nitrate is not high, it is nothing to worry about. Once you start getting above 80ppm, you want to be wondering why, but even that isn't a huge problem for the majority of popular species.

Sorry....misread of the containers I use - actually 25L each. Point noted though, will up the frequency (and / or buy another container so I've got 50L fresh at one time).

Just keep up your water changes. Add some plants an you will be fine

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back