April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Bettapuppy

Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I have a 6.7 U.S. gallon tank with one half moon betta in it. I've had the tank for a little over two weeks and I added Concentrated Aquarium Bacteria before I added my fish (Tetra SafeStart Plus). I've tested my water peramiters twice and both times the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate have all registered at 0. shouldn't there be some nitrates by now? I'm using the API test strips. My fish is acting normal and his colors have gotten brighter since I got him.

Hi everybody, I have a 6.7 U.S. gallon tank with one half moon betta in it. I've had the tank for a little over two weeks and I added Concentrated Aquarium Bacteria before I added my fish (Tetra SafeStart Plus). I've tested my water peramiters twice and both times the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate have all registered at 0. shouldn't there be some nitrates by now? I'm using the API test strips. My fish is acting normal and his colors have gotten brighter since I got him.
Hi and welcome to the forum :hi:

If the tank has been set up for only 2 weeks as you mention above, then it’s not strange for nitrates to have not appeared yet.

Tanks can take between 6-8 weeks to cycle, in this time the beneficial bacteria will build up on the filter media and you should begin to see nitrates.

Tetra safe start should help your cycle, this is just bottled beneficial bacteria too provide a good start.

75% weekly water changes are recommended for fish in cycles. Avoid cleaning the filter media until your tank is fully cycled.

Best of luck.

Hi and welcome to the forum :hi:

If the tank has been set up for only 2 weeks as you mention above, then it’s not strange for nitrates to have not appeared yet.

Tanks can take between 6-8 weeks to cycle, in this time the beneficial bacteria will build up on the filter media and you should begin to see nitrates.

Tetra safe start should help your cycle, this is just bottled beneficial bacteria too provide a good start.

75% weekly water changes are recommended for fish in cycles. Avoid cleaning the filter media until your tank is fully cycled.

Best of luck.

Okay, thank you! I think your tank is beautiful by the way. Congratulation on winning tank of the month!

Okay, thank you! I think your tank is beautiful by the way. Congratulation on winning tank of the month!
Aww that’s sweet of you! Thank you. :)

You should consider entering the next contest that starts at the beginning of May or future contests.

Good luck!

Depending upon the specifics--and every aquarium is biologically different--this may be fine. SafeStart will do the cycling, and with just one fish in the tank you are not likely to see ammonia or nitrite at all (that is good) and nitrate may be minimal or zero. If you have live plants, this will certainly mean zero for all three until much later but then with just the one fish nitrate may never show up (which is itself very good for fish).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back